One of the defining roles of the late, great Paul Newman, The Hustler
sees him co-star with Jackie Gleason in an acclaimed, award-winning piece of cinema. Newman is ‘Fast’ Eddie Felson, who hustles the pool rooms in search of riches, only to hit the buffers when he encounters Minnesota Fats, played by Gleason. But as Felson hits rock bottom, he soon starts to get his confidence back, and The Hustler
is on the way to establishing itself as a cinematic classic.
There’s so much to admire. The performances from Newman, Gleason, George C. Scott and Piper Laurie are uniformly outstanding, while director Robert Rossen understandably never managed to top the film. But it’s so dripping with detail, so chock-full of quotable lines, and so brilliantly written that it’s hard to see how he could.
The high definition transfer makes the most of the exquisitely framed visuals, offering a real clarity to the film’s look. As such, it’s worth considering the Blu-ray upgrade.
But first and foremost, the best reason to buy the film is to enjoy a bone fide cinema classic over and over again, looking as good as it ever has. It’s outstanding cinema, and a chance to enjoy one of Hollywood’s finest ever actors at the very top of his game. --Jon Foster
Racking up nine Academy Award® nominations*, including Best Picture, this powerful and provocative cinematic masterpiece explodes on screen--as never before--on Blu-ray. Paul Newman electrifies in his brilliant portrayal of Fast Eddie Felson, an arrogant hustler whose unbridled ambition drives him to challenge legendary pool player Minnesota Fats (Jackie Gleason)--but the stakes are higher than either of them could have imagined.
*1961: Best Picture, Director, Actor (Paul Newman), Actress (Piper Laurie), Supporting Actor (Jackie Gleason), Supporting Actor (George C. Scott), Art Direction (B&W--won), Cinematography (B&W--won), Adapted Screenplay. Special Features:
- Milestones in Cinema History: The Hustler
- Audio commentary by Paul Newman, Carol Rossen, Dede Allen, Stefan Gierasch, Ulu Grosbard, Richard Schickel and Jeff Young
- Paul Newman at Fox
- Jackie Gleason: The Big Man
- The Real Hustler: Walter Tevis
- Life in the Fast Lane: Fast Eddie Felson and the Search for Greatness
- Swimming with Sharks: The Art of the Hustle
- The Hustler: The Inside Story
- Paul Newman: Hollywood’s Cool Hand
- Trick Shot Analysis by Mike Massey
- How to Make the Shot with Mike Massey, featuring five scenes
- Theatrical trailer