Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 19 September 2014
Lincoln Townley is probably best known in the public eye for being Denise Welch's husband. Therefore, most people would probably expect this book to be a typical pedestrian account they have read many times before about someone in the public eye descending into their addiction. However, this book is very interestingly constructed and at items reads like a novel. While the reader may question the factual accuracy of events, the telling of the tale is compelling and draws the reader into Lincoln's deranged, addicted mind in a way this reader has not witnessed in a book of this type before.

It is clear that Lincoln is a storyteller and has a strong skill in crafting and weaving his words to command attention and pull the reader into his inner world. You also have to admire his honesty in laying his life and his many flaws out before everyone. I can imagine this book formed a therapeutic part of his recovery from his many addictions and commend him in reclaiming himself and his sanity.

It is clear that he is a sensitive, clever and talented man who was consumed by a rage catalysed by his father's untimely death. The rage wanted drama, turbulence, chaos and addictive distractions to fuel it. These kept him stuck in a permanent state of 'rebellious child' and denial that nearly brought about his own demise.

The device of personifying and naming his inner demon is a good one and while he himself says at the end of the book it is fictional, I am sure to him it was all too real. I hope Lincoln quiets that demon forever and continues to live a creative and fulfilled life painting and writing more books. It would be a shame to only witness his literary skills just the once. I would love to see what other great stories are lying dormant within him waiting to see the light of day. He deserves more credit than to just be thought of as 'Denise Welch's husband'.
on 22 May 2014
It's very rare for me to rate anything but this book deserves every accolade it is about to receive. It's a interesting insight into addiction but written in such a way that it picks you up and takes you with it. My only issue with it is that I shouldn't have began reading it at my desk when it was delivered this morning as it's now mid afternoon and I've still not began working.... on to the next chapter I go.
on 1 September 2014
This book was strangely addictive considering the life described in it is quite the opposite of mine - perhaps that explains why! Very well written although it took me a while to adjust to the misogynistic and nihilistic tone that is quite rightfully used to describe how Lincoln Townley though about women and life, it really sets the mood and context but is very offensive so beware female readers. I thought it fell off a bit at the end becoming almost mystical and sentimental. Perhaps the final few chapters should be read more as a metaphor, like the Esurio character, but I would like to have understood a bit more about the actual recovery process he underwent.
on 30 March 2015
I bought this book and it sat on my kindle for a very long time until one-day I thought "What's this? I shall read it and find out" and then began a journey. At times I wasn't sure that I was going to last the distance but I did and I'm very glad I did.

I have friends who have had similar experiences and also 'there but for the grace..........'. This book expresses and makes accessible something that few people outside of the experience actually 'get'. I hope it helps.

The story is fantastic, mystical, down to earth and horrifying - you'll have to read it to understand :/
on 4 August 2014
Not a feel good book, a comedy or even a romance but a very in depth view into an addicts crazy and un-ordinary life
on 22 May 2014
Dizzyingly brutal in both the events it describes and in style (often using bullet points as punches to hit home the list of excesses) this is like lifting the top off a man's skull and finding a nest of writhing snakes where the brain should be. Part of the fun (if that is the right word) is piecing together who, what and where the author is actually writing about as he spirals out of control, to end up in a very long, dark Soho night indeed. It makes Leo look like the Wuss of Wall Street. By the end you'll either need a long sit down and or an even longer hot shower or both - just remember to breathe while you are reading it.
on 22 May 2014
It's one you can't put down and don't want to end. Amazingly honest, scary and heartwarming all at once. Massive respect to this guy.
on 24 July 2014
Self indulgent, narcissistic twaddle. Like another reviewer, I can only assume that those who gave this five stars are friends of Mr Townley. The book is boring, repetitive and badly written. Anyone hoping to be titillated or scandalised by this account of Townley's alleged excesses in Soho will be disappointed. As a tale of redemption it fails miserably, not least because quite quickly I found I couldn't care less if Townley found redemption or not. It's a silly book and I was silly to buy it.
on 3 December 2015
I didn't like this book when I first started it, it seemed the usual sexist, written to shock crap, but then it started delving a little deeper and we truly see the man fighting his addiction. Its always on his mind, whether he's trying to resist or letting it take him over. A painful book to write I imagine and not many will like it, but a very honest account of addiction.
on 22 May 2014
Believe me, you won't be able to put this book down.
It takes you on a dark journey through a period of undeniable excesses where the mind, soul and body are delighted then chewed up to the point of oblivion. How the Guy is still alive is amazing.
Breaking Bad, eat your heart out. This has got to hit our screens as soon as possible.
Amazing book. Amazing Guy to come through it all