on 26 April 2000
This excellent BBC Radio Four dramatisation keep our whole family mesmerised from Clais to the Spanish Boarder. It really is a fabulous production. We had listened to a single voice reader before, I think it was Lovejoy, no comparison with the full drama of this one, just wait until you hear the actor who is Gollum. We have bought the BBC Lord of the Rings now ready for our next holiday.
on 13 October 2015
I first listened to this production when I was only 7 or 8 years old and I've always loved it completely. The voice acting, music and sound effects create an incredibly atmospherical experience that pulls you right into the homes and woods and caves of Middle-Earth.

The music is wonderful and incredibly well-fitting for the settings of the tale, and though maybe not as high quality and beautifully composed as the pieces in the recent films, they are still beautiful pieces and set the scene ten times better. The instruments and style of each piece are much better representative of the people and races who sing and play them.

The voices and sound effects set the scene and create an atmosphere better than any other audio production I have ever heard, and they really absorb you into the world.

The script itself is adapted in a way which introduces a narrator who tells most of the story elements that aren't character speech, with Bilbo himself often interrupting the narrator, acting as a co-narrator. Over all it's still very faithful to the original text (with frequent omissions of purely descriptave passages as to be expected in a dramatisation, which are not needed anyway when the sounds and character's voices can do the job better), with even a few little Lord of the Rings references thrown in now and again too.

Overall I would recommend this audiobook/radio production to anyone who wants to experience The Hobbit in the best way possible.
on 18 December 2014
The book is great and I highly recommend it! However... This audio book sounds extremely dated, the dialogue isn't always clear and they often use the same voice actor for different parts which can get very confusing. The voices of some of the characters are extremely harsh and unpleasant to listen to- shrill and/or extremely annoying.

There is a lot of stopping and starting and they use music to break up scenes, but (negative again) not only is the music dull and repetitive, it sounds terrible- really out of tune and just awful.

I love this book and I love audiobooks in general but this has to be one of the worst adaptations I've come across.
I bought it because I trusted other reviews and believed that if it's the BBC it should be good quality.

Only positive is that it sticks to the book quite well and SOME of the voice acting is good.
on 22 April 2001
I first listened to this adaption after reading the hobbit and buying the graphic novel- and it's the 100% accurate portrayal of bilbo's adventures! excellent cast, listen to it and look at the david wenzel comic book at the same time - you'll see what i mean! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! A++
on 1 January 2013
This was a present for my 6 year old grandson, so that he could become familiar with the story before going to the film. He, and all the family loved the recording and it helped him enjoy the film more.
on 9 June 2009
We bought this to entertain us on a long trip to Wales, but it failed. The whole production sounded very dated and it was difficult to hear all of the dialogue and was therfore difficult to follow if, like our children, you have not read the book. A lot of the voices were very similar and Gandalf's voice sounded like he was a sinister snake!!! Don't get me started on the music!!! Love the book would not recommend this audio tape.
on 24 February 2015
Same as i remember the story as i was lying down on my bed
on 15 June 2013
As my mums is struggling to read this set has been great and she has really enjoyed listening to it.
on 1 May 2009
I ordered this c.d. on complete spec so I was absolutely thrilled when myself and my 2 boys 7 and 9 were all gripped to it. This is the best version of The Hobbit I have ever heard.The music in it adds so much to the atmosphere and the actors chosen for the main parts are perfect. I would not hesitate to reccommend this magical adaptation too anyone.