on 13 December 2012
Very interesting in to the history of London, dispells some stories about events. Very easy to get to grips with the sites of the old buildings and institutes that no longer exist.
on 9 February 2013
An excellent book as a reference but it lacked 2 important things:
1. No maps. Very important to make sense of the detailed descriptions.

2.The date of publication. I spent a great deal of time trying to work out the historical perspective of the writer.Eventually I deduced that it must have been 1888. This had a significant importance in understanding some of his comments.
on 10 December 2012
It was a good read, good historical facts about London. Origins of the city very well explained. It was an easy read.
on 12 July 2014
ideal if you're into history and want the back story on our fair capital.
on 18 June 2013
I used to go to a local library to borrow some books, but have recently begun to download free books from Amazon using my Kindle when I have time. I am very glad that a lot of books are available free of charge. Thank you.
on 31 March 2014
For a free title this is very good indeed. For a history book it is also not too heavy going and is written in clear English that most people will be comfortable with.
on 7 June 2013
It was not as easy to follow as other historical books on this subject.maybe I will try another person's book
on 8 March 2015
I found this book a little irritating as it skipped through the long history of London , I found myself hoping it was near the end of the book but continued reading in case it gets better !! Read better books on the history of London .
on 17 March 2013
It is an interesting book, full of names and references to buildings and streets. However it is also a rather romantic description of London from a Londoner's point of view, so do not expect a lot of proper linear history!
on 20 January 2013
very informative, i like the way it is factual yet has a strength of allowing you to follow the story as if you are there in a factual sense, i haven't finished reading this book yet but i am enjoying it so far.