on 19 April 2010
When I started reading this book, I found it quite fluffy and shallow, and mostly a "Christianisation" of the theories posed by McLuhan.

But as the book continued, I began to find real value in the middle half. Shane Hipps discusses the implications of different medias, how they have effected society, and therefore effect church. Chapters 4, 5 and 6 have plenty underlined now in my copy, which were definitely worth reading the book for, hence the 4 star review.

If you are new to media in church and post modern thinking, this book is an excellent introduction. If you know about it, and work in media, this book provides handy context and new thinking. If you're schooled in philosophy and media history, there's probably not much new here.

The last quarter waned for me, and I found his assertions lacked the scriptural foundation I needed as he began to discuss the Emerging Church all the more.
on 5 June 2015