on 25 October 2005
Ms. Pargeter's "Heaven Tree Trilogy" is a must read for fan's of historical romance specially if you are a fan of the medieval period. Although a rather lengthy read (almost 900 pages) this edition with all three stories is well worth the effort in obtaining it.
This read offeres it all as does the time in which it's set. Ms. Pargeter has brought to vivid life medieval Wales and all of the political intrigue, romance, and flavors it has to offer. Her prose and descriptive voice will gently place the read in a time that no longer exist but is recaptured brilliantly here.
This is the story of Harry, Adam, Benedetta, Gilleis, and Lord Isambard with the story starting with Harry who is a second son with an amazing talent of stone masonary. Harry is a noble man and it's due to this noblility that he gives up all for his friend Adam. This is the beginning of an epic journey that no one can imagine. With choices and decisions paving the way for future generations. And a son seeking revenge on the death of his father.
The lives of Harry, Adam, Benedetta, Harry's own son, Gilleis and Lord Isamard are so entwined that reader will be so drawn into the drama of their lives that they will be hard pressed to put down this book. There are truly no words when it comes to this amazing work of liturature. If I was to issue a warning it would be to have a BOX of kleenex on had and to be prepared to be swept back in time. Oh, and have plenty of time in order to read. I was not able to sit and read this from cover to cover but that didn't matter in the least. Whoever said time travel did not exist hasn't read this classic historical read!!!
on 17 April 2012
This is a novel - or rather three - which I have loved for more years than I care to remember, at least 50! A fascinating tale of life in the volatile Welsh borders in the thirteenth century written by Edith Pargeter. She is perhaps better known by her nom de plume, Edith Peters who is the author of Chronicles of Brother Cadfael which was serialised on the BBC 1 some years ago. It's a stunning gripping book which, once picked up, you are reluctant to put down and is almost 1000 pages from cover to cover. i can truly say it is one of the most enjoyable historical novels I have ever read and provides a fascinating glimpse of humanity representing all walks of life. You can read it over and over without ever tiring of it for a moment.It is also so exquisitely written by a real craftsman right from the opening paragraph, every word is carefully chosen that it's almost like reading poetry.
The book is sadly long out of print - the omnibus I found was published in 1994 but it is well worth the search on the internet. But take care, there are used book stores especially in the States where Edith Pargeter is very popular, selling copies at anything up to $150 for one in good condition. Mine came from a book store in Brighton, almost in mint condition, at the princely sum of £10. Good hunting!
on 8 November 2013
A great story. EP thought The Heaven Tree was the best book she wrote, and wanted to see where Isambard and co were some years later.

I happened on the Scarlet Seed first.

Her Cadfael books merit reading too under the guise of Ellis Peters. I loved all the ones with Cadfael's son in them (The virgin in the Ice, Pilgrim of hate, Brother Cadfael's penance), but also the Holy Thief and an Excellent Mystery and Brother Haluin
on 26 June 2014
I bought this to replace an original copy of the book that I had lost, I did'nt think I would be able to get another copy so I was delighted to find out that I could. It is in very good condition and actually arrived far quicker thank I had expected very pleased
on 21 March 2014
I had read the first book in the trilogy and wanted to read the rest. I am happy with the copy sent, it has all three books in one. Probably a book to save for the future.