on 22 August 2011
To me, The Haxan Cloak is the sound of...

Witchcraft, dark forests, John Carpenter soundtracks, The Wicker Man, lonely country roads, The Third Ear Band, Wendy Carlos synth drones, the ghost stories of MR James, The Awakening Of Jacob, white noise, Poltergeist thuds, cello scrapes, a dark figure glimpsed in the corner of your eye, Goblin, winter sunsets, the electric charge in the air before a thunderstorm...

The eight instrumental pieces on Bobby Krlic's frighteningly self-assured debut album are all of these things, yet filtered through Krlic's brilliantly dense sonic imprint they become utterly unique. This young man has seemingly emerged from nowhere to create the most terrifyingly beautiful album since Barre Phillips' "Mountainscapes".

What does The Haxan Cloak sound like to you?
on 7 January 2014
This music is for people who are looking for a dark, ominous experience found in a quiet, unlit room by themselves. It tells a very deep tale from start to finish with a great deal of variety and unexpected twists that carry it to the end well, all the while drawing the listener in deeper despite the uneasiness they feel. For me it evoked a sense of adventure similar to what you would get from a tense, captivating horror film that you can't help but love.

I feel it was a wise decision to wait until I owned this album to listen through the whole thing, after glimpsing its opening track 'Raven's Lament' I knew it was something that I had to get. Bobby Krlic's take on music is something that I personally treasure, his style complements the plethora of dark, ambient music available expertly whilst taking it in its very own terrifying direction that I haven't experienced before.

Don't forget to look at The Haxan Cloak's newer album Excavation which takes the fear to a whole new level.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 November 2014
Arrived as described and much earlier than expected. Brilliant.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 August 2012
I'm afraid I found this extremely dull. It tries to tick a lot of currently fashionable boxes - horror soundtracks and the rest - but to my ears it amounts to nothing beyond a series of tired gothic cliches. Demdyke Stare and some of the doomjazz people do slightly similar things slightly better, but the witchy, haunty signifiers are too obvious and predictable all round: few representatives of this genre have enough ideas to sustain a whole CD, in my humble opinion.
22 comments4 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse