on 5 January 2012
For the price, I was expecting something a lot more...modest...than this hefty tome! I bought it as a present for my Dutch boyfriend, who was curious about pies (you can't really get them in the Netherlands) and wanted to try making some. The book is very thick, high quality with great illustrations.

The recipes section contains tons of ideas for pies, pasties, tarts, and there are a couple of less pie-y pastry recipes in the mix too (like gyozas and baklava). The recipes are well laid out, although lacking in an overall cooking time, which would be helpful. We've made a bunch of recipes from the book now and they were easy to follow - and tasty!

Particularly useful is the section at the back (though...would have made more sense to be at the front) with basics on making pies and pastry. Even if you think you know what you're doing, it's still worth a read for some of the hints and tips that I am sure most home cooks will learn from.

You certainly can't go wrong with this book for this price. Everyone (who likes pies) should add it to their shelf!
on 22 November 2011
I have never bought a Hairy Bikers cookbook before, and as I find their television presence most annoying (Dude?! At their age?!) I was more than hesitant when it came to purchasing this book. At under a tenner, I thought it was probably worth a punt, and I am so glad I made my purchase. The book is beautifully presented (I think I'm correct in saying that every recipe is accompanied by an opposing full page photograph), and the recipes are easy to follow and surprisingly diverse. The book does not limit itself to just the standard pie, but gives recipes for various sweet options, flans, tarts, quiches, various types of pastry, large pies and finger foods, suet puddings, side dishes, things to do with your left over scraps of pastry, a satisfying amount of vegetarian options... I could go on, but short of listing every recipe in the book, I couldn't convey its amazing breadth. I have attempted both the 'Deep-filled Chicken and Mushroom Pie' on page 15, and the 'Pear, Walnut and Dolcelatte Tarts' on page 131, and while I consider myself a reasonably confident cook, I was surprised with just how professional and delicious the results were. Finally, I would happily cook and eat each and every recipe in this book; a remarkable statement, and one that I can't make for any other cookbook on my shelf.
66 comments|154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 3 September 2014
I’m a sucker for a pie – eating them, and of course cooking them – so a whole cookbook full of yummy pies just has to be a great purchase, whichever way you choose to look at it. And I know that the Hairy Bikers’ pie recipes will be reliable, and interesting. I brought this book for a treat for myself, and I’m not sorry I did. There are more than 140 pie recipes in here – 140! Pies! How can you go wrong!? Over 350 pages of deliciousness.

The book is divided into sections of double-crust, handheld, top-crust, open-topped, plate, potato-topped, party, raised and freeform, fancy and suet pies and tarts, with final sections of sides, salads, sauces, what to do with leftovers, and the basics – there’s a great recipe for chocolate shortcrust in this section, which I have used a few times already. The Basics section is worth purchasing the book for in itself; it tells you in detail, with accompanying photos, everything you need to know to take away the mystery and worry about making pastry and pies – what equipment and ingredients, how to make shortcrust by hand or in a food processor, variations on shortcrust pastry (including sweet varieties), how to make rough puff pastry, flaky pastry, pate sucree, hot-water crust, crumble toppings, how to roll out homemade or ready brought pastry, lining a tin, baking blind, putting on top crusts, decorating and top tips.

And the recipes themselves are glorious – ranging from quick store-cupboard pies with what you can find in the pantry, to pies to take to a sports game, to pies for entertaining (both savoury and sweet). The sides, salads and sauces section offers recipes for all sorts to go with your savoury or sweet pies – from variations on a potato theme, to vegetable sides and accompaniments, delicious gravies and pickles. I think sausage and apple puff might have to be the next one I try from this book. Delicious; well worth the purchase (and I say this, as one who has no shortage of pie books already – this one is definitely worth getting).
on 4 March 2012
This book has the recipes that I remember from my childhood, cooked by my gran. Proper egg custard tart, steak and kidney pud, savoury mince meat pie. This is the food of my childhood. This is the nectar of the gods. Plus, as someone who has always been hopeless with pastry, I've found that following their directions I can do it. AND I can do it well. This book is not only the best cookery book I've ever owned it's also the only one that everyone who eats at my house has asked me to buy them for their birthday. This is my Bible! Who ate all the pies? Oh. That'll be me then!
on 15 May 2012
This is one of my favourite books, I love it! If I am not cooking from it I sometimes just like to sit and flick through looking at all of the amazing pies.

I have made a fair few from this book and all have turned out great, The treacle tart recipe is the most used from this book so far, so delicious. I haven't made it for a while as my waistline is not happy but I can't wait for a treat day to make this again. :)

Full of gorgeous photography, this is a big book covering pretty much every pie you can think of.
on 12 June 2012
This is the first review I have ever written,but this book is probably the best recipe book I own, and this is from someone who finds the hairy bikers incredibly irritating on tv. Well done hairy bikers, I may have to reconsider my opinion of you!
on 14 February 2013
Im not fan of celebrity chefs or their TV shows so have never watched the Hairy Bikers programmes. I came across the book when I was looking for pie recipes, and Im so glad I did. The book is well laid out with pictures of each pie and some pics of techniques. The recipes are easy to follow and there is a well planned index. But most of all the pies are delicious. And its not just pies, but also pasties, tarts quiches and even chips! Ive made about a dozen different ones so far and everyone has turned out well. The cherry pie is absolutely stunning! Shame about the calories!
on 22 November 2011
Excellent book, as with all their books the recipes are easy to follow and the ones I made so far have been great. Possibly not for the really figure conscious but I would recommend this book to everyone, it really is proper cooking.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 1 November 2015

on 7 March 2013
I don't need to spend a fortune on ingredients when I lift this book and also don't need to plan a shopping trip. Have most of the ingredients in my cupboards already. I find with too many cookery books these days that it's not possible, to just open the book and get straight to work. Lots more than just pies too, so excellent value for money and a cookery book that's already well used/. Have already recommended it to a few friends so can't give a higher recommendation than that.