on 14 November 2013
A talking sausage, a fish that grants wishes and an evil step-mother...these are all characters that Alice Goodenough must find the courage to face.

The Grimm Chronicles Volume 2 continues to follow our hero Alice through her adventures fighting against the corrupted fairy tale characters that the Brothers Grimm have brought to life.Isabella Fontaine and Ken Brosky have taken the fairy tales we all know and love and have given them a "corrupted" twist. No longer do we always have happy endings, in fact you never know exactly what to expect.

Although I did find this Volume more difficult to follow than the first, it was still a great story to read. In case you don't know the tales being referenced, they have included them in the back of the book for you to read. The authors have chosen more obscure tales for this story, many of which I have never read. They have also injected the tale of Moby Dick, which wasn't a required read in my English Lit. class (thank heavens).

I love how Alice is just like the rest of us in her every day life. She has no super powers but she has courage. In the story, there is a bully who terrorizes the school. He never receives consequences for his actions because he is a star football player. The authors have taken the time to show how just one person can make a huge difference when it comes to changing the world. By having the courage to stand up for what you know is wrong, others will follow.

I would highly recommend reading the Volume 1 of the Grimm Chronicles first. Volume 2 is compilation of three novella's:
Episode Four: The Orphanage of Doom
Episode Five: Blood and Thunder
Episode Six: The Order of the Golden Dragon

If you are looking for a great read, that has a "twist" to the fairy tale characters that you know (or may not know) this is a great book for you.

Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
on 6 July 2013
I got through most of the first book in the series unsure whether or not I liked it and whether I would continue reading, but once I got into it and got to know the characters I really enjoyed it and started on this, the 2nd book of the series immediately. As with all fantasy books you have to suspend your disbelief or you would not enjoy the story, but really Ishmael from Moby Dick in a Grimm Fairy Tale? That aside, the hero had really grown on me by this stage, regardless of her mission to kill, and the back stories from previous heroes were interesting as well, whereas in the first book I thought they detracted quite a bit from the main narrative. The real Grimm's tales at the end of the books are a good reminder of just how black the original tales were since we tend to think of the Disneyfied and children's book versions of these macabre stories. All in all I will be looking forward to the next volume in the series coming out and would recommend this series to teens/young adults and those older (like myself) who enjoy fantasy books (without vampires) or are just looking for something a bit different.
on 21 May 2016
Quite enjoyable, although I found a couple of things a bit irritating, which is why I only gave 4 stars.

Do youngsters in the USA really say "Oh Gawd"? and "Anywho" instead of "Anyhow"?

The other annoying Americanism is "couple" ....it's never a couple OF anything, just "couple drinks" or "couple plates" if you get my drift.

Apart from that there were some errors, but the book just needs editing.
on 16 October 2014
Great read, I would definately read other books by this author
on 19 September 2014
enjoyed this will read others in series
on 23 January 2015