on 3 December 2011
This series has to be one of the best I've read for a while.

I was slightly hesitant about purchasing this book at first, as although I loved the first I've often found that series which start with a free book go downhill in the paid sequels. Thankfully this was not the case here and this book was equally enjoyable, well worth the money.
In this book we see some interesting character development, twists and turns. A great book that leaves you wanting to read more.

The only faults are with the formatting. As with the first book the lack of chapters is slightly disappointing (and has led to some late nights where I just couldn't find a good place to stop reading, although I suppose that's not a bad thing). It would have been nice if there were separate chapters or more use of paragraphs to help break up the text a little.

Overall this is turning out to be a great series, one I'd highly recommend.
on 30 January 2013
Good read and great value.
At the beginning I bought because it was free but now i'm reading the secind book.
This novel is fantasy and some may not appreciate the magic and beasts that are there and sometimes without logic.
However gives good incite into the main character's life.
on 13 December 2012
Hope the author writes another ten novels in this sequence, because the first book was a strange effort (that I read because it was free) that seemed to me to be the work of a very young first time author. He is, however,getting better (or older)and this book shows a great improvement. Have already bought the third book and will see if he can throw away his L plates! At the price I would recommend this to fantasy fans, but I would not risk more than £3.00 on his work at this time.
on 28 May 2012
Both of the books I have read in this series are good stories and hold the enthusiasm and interest but also deliver a great deal of frustration, intended or not.

The heroes are as heroes should be and do what heroes do.
Unfortunately the author has seen fit to make them incredibly stupid, especially the character of Myranda who seldom learns from her trials and tribulations, even as she gains in power and learning. When she gets herself into a situation, and there are many, she seems to forget everything she has learned and is capable of doing, magic-wise.
The Chosen come across as a bunch of losers while the villains appear to be the only ones possessing a brain between them.
on 18 November 2012
I can't remember the last time i got "addicted" to a book. Well actually i can and it was David eddings belgarion series, and that is how good this trilogy was. The story was impressive and the characters were well developed. Once i read the final book i went straight to the Amazon store to find more books by this author. I have now got my bug for fantasy back. Thanks Joseph R Lallo.
on 12 January 2013
I enjoyed first book so downloaded 2nd, for the price worth it. I have not been into fantasy fiction for long, but must admit, the last book in series is already downloaded. Yes there is a lot of she,/he dove in the second book. But if you overlook the grammar its very good read.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 October 2013
In essence, if you liked the first book of the series - The Book of Deacon - you will like this even more; if you thought the first had potential, this does a better job of developing both the potential and the pace further.

It continues in Myranda's quest to unite the Chosen and thereby end the war between the Northern Alliance and Tressor that has been going on for over a century. And as compared to the first book, the action picks up a fair bit, meaning that the group of heroes is almost constantly engaged in one scrap or another. The author's approach of switching randomly between the individual fights each of the heroes has in the larger battle will work better for some than for others and like in the first book an introduction of some sort of chapters (rather than the occassional # sing between major events in the book) would be nice here, too.

As some reviewers have commented, Myranda displays a frustratingly slow pace as a learner, completely unlike her spell in Entwell in the first book, where she progressed at a speed of the most gifted of prodigies. While this may be in line with a realistic character the author would have done himself a favour in turning down the wick in the first book, so as not to create unrealistic expectations. That a lesson has been learned here is obvious in his treatment of the subject in the The Rise of the Red Shadow (The Book of Deacon) prequel.

Just like the whole series the author endeavored to keep the series relatively youth friendly - neither the language used, nor the depiction of violence will be such that a young teen should have difficulties with it; the author also does not resort to the George R.R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire, 7 Volumes) habit of regularly killing off large parts of the cast. This may mean that the book lacks some of the gritty realism of Joe Abercrombie (The First Law Trilogy Boxed Set: The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged, Last Argument of Kings), or the complexity of something like Tom Lloyd (The Dusk Watchman: Book Five of The Twilight Reign), at the same time it is a much easier and relaxing read as a result (and thereby more holiday friendly).

While perhaps not quite up there with the best fantasy writing out there, the author demonstrates the right kind of positive development between books and has produced an engaging and increasingly fast paced series here. I would imagine if you liked the first one that the price of entry for the second volume is definitely worthwhile.
on 4 October 2014
I downloaded the first book because I like to look for interesting, lesser known series, and it's always nice to give new authors a chance. As a free kindle download, I thought the first book was enjoyable. The world was interesting and original enough to keep me reading, though the quality of writing wasn't particularly good. The book did the standard, girl/guy goes to some kind of magic school and develops special powers. This wasn't done nearly as well as other famous authors (i.e. Rothfuss, Feist). However - I did read it through so that says something. I don't think I did much skimming either. So, I decided to buy the second book to give it a chance and to see whether the story and world develop and whether the writing improves. This didn't happen. There is very little development (particularly compared to the first book), and the second half of the book seems to be one hastily written scene which is lacking in any kind of mini climax or interval. The descriptions of the battles and fighting are very poor as well. The book could really have done with some editing or advice because there is definitely potential here. Unfortunately, many of the characters are extremely limited and 2 dimensional. I skimmed much of the second half of the book just to see what happens. Needless to say, I won't be purchasing the third book. If you really enjoyed the first book, you may enjoy this (maybe...). However, if you were any way unsure about the first book, do not get this.
on 13 May 2013
I have just finished reading the trilogy for the third time. I love it. Myranda the main character is one you can easily identify with and at times want to reach into the book grab her by her tatty grey cloak and shake some sense into, but love her all the same.
The book itself has a few minor issues, it does take a little while to get into but at the same time it lays the groundwork that later on will have you thinking haha that means.., but wait oh that means.,, WHAT NOOO in equal amounts of shock dread and antisipation. You unravel the mystery along with the characters and get surprised by the twists just as much as they do. Its ones of those that were it a film you would find yourself slowly gettin closer to the screen until you fall off your seat but dont care as ur face is now inches from the screen.
This series made me cry twice but at one point I sent the author a message threatening him that if I turned yhe page and found out what I thought I was going to find out id, well lets just say I wouldnt be happy. It also made me laugh out loud, and had me sitting with that daft smile on my face that only comes when your reading a certain magic of a book.

Try it, I promise its the best decision you will make until you decide to get the next one
on 12 February 2013
Very easy to read perhaps a ta predictable but worth the time purely from an escapist angle thoroughly enjoyed it