on 3 July 2013
The Saga of the Exiles on e-reader! Excellent!

First read Julian May's brilliant Saga years and years ago and still have the paperbacks. Went on from the Pliocene exiles to Jack the Bodiless and Diamond Mask and all the rest of the Milieu stories. Fabulous stories of telepathically and psychokinetically operant humans and how they got there. Yes, it's nonsense by any normal, everyday standards but the story is a huge sweep of imagination with cleverness and wit woven right the way through it - Aiken Drum, the trickster and arch-manipulator being the spitting image of Machiavelli, for instance.

If you're an SF buff I highly recommend this series. Funnily enough, I was looking idly for it as e-books just a few months ago and there was nothing available from "official" channels - an unofficial copy I found and downloaded had no formatting. You'd be amazed how flat and boring a story becomes with no paragraphs! Then they appeared as "trade copies" - not quite sure what that means, but perhaps it's associated with one gripe I do have about the e-versions - that scanner misreads haven't been sub-edited out. For example, one of the Firvulag Great Heroes is called Sharn-Mes; usually abbreviated to Sharn. In the e-version it appears about 70% of the time as "Sham" which grates badly every time. There are other examples.

Nonetheless, I'm ploughing my way through the whole lot all over again and loving it. Give yourself a treat. Get at least the four "Saga" books and read them!
on 14 September 2015
I love science fiction/fantasy and the Saga of the Exiles is very unusual in my opinion.

The series starts slow, but picks up and becomes enthralling in my opinion.

The only complaint that I have, is that at the end there are too many unanswered questions and I wish Julian May would write a sequel.

Also look at Intervention and Jack the Bodiless - the series that prequel this, but you can read both series in isolation
on 10 October 2013
I really enjoyed the sequel to"the many coloured land" ; having read the series many years ago I expected to, but as is often the case with a second read I've found different threads to it than previously. The only slight disappointment is the excessive number of careless typos in it which is irritating- but it's still a great story and an addictive read to the end!
on 25 April 2014
I am reading all of these series anew since I last read them over thirty years ago and they are still a fantastic read. The characters and storyline are a joy from comic to tragedy and a very unique perspective on human frailties. I love these books you not only get a cracking read/ adventure but you also get insight and learn, what more could a reader ask for!.
on 12 May 2013
My paperback copy is now in pieces from years of reading. Book two carries on the story from the Many Coloured Land, and you really do need to read the series in sequence. Some series of books you can dip into, but this Saga is one you have to read from Book One and if you are a sci fi addict that deals with people as well as fantastic ideas then this is for you.
on 8 November 2015
Definitely the difficult second album, sorry I mean book. The first novel is great but this one has much less action and a lot more of the background to the Tanu and why they are there. I have bought the whole series so hoping it gets better from here on in.
on 12 February 2013
Second book into the series, and we follow the other Exiles and take a deeper look at the alien society and the dysfunctions and manoeuvring within. The climax is truly a grand spectacle and - like all good thrillers - leaves you wanting more!
on 16 November 2014
A great sequel to The Many Coloured Land, this book draws the reader in with its clever weaving of historical fact, religious mythology and pure fantasy. although I have read this book several times it always remains fresh!
on 31 March 2013
Follows on from the many coloured land and really doesn't disappoint. The way it is written makes you really feel you know both the characters and also the land that it is set in.
on 15 April 2013
The saga continues to evolve and grow stunning in its depth and imagination simply a wonderful read better if possible than the first in the series.