- Audio CD (30 Jun 2008)
- Number of Discs: 1
- Format: CD
- Label: Ace Records
- ASIN: B000A1QKQC
- Average Customer Review: 4.8 out of 5 stars See all reviews (4 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 132,179 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
|1. Watermelon Man - Herbie Hancock|
|2. Yeh, Yeh! - Mongo Santamaria|
|3. Comin' Home Baby - Mel Torme|
|4. Desafinado - Stan Getz|
|5. Soul Sauce (Guachi Guaro) - Cal Tjader|
|6. Like Young - André Previn|
|7. Walk On The Wild Side (Parts 1 & 2) - Jimmy Smith And The Big Band|
|8. Take Five - The Dave Brubeck Quartet|
|9. The Sidewinder (Part1) - Lee Morgan|
|10. The Swingin' Shepherd Blues - Moe Koffman Quartette|
|11. The 'In' Crowd - Ramsey Lewis Trio|
|12. Cast Your Fate to the Wind - Otis,Johnny|
|13. African Waltz - Johnny Dankworth|
|14. The Girl from Ipanema - Stan Getz|
|15. Misty - Richard 'Groove' Holmes|
|16. Shake A Lady - Ray Bryant|
|17. Exodus - Eddie Harris|
|18. Wack Wack - The Young Holt Trio|
|19. The Shampoo - Les McCann|
|20. The Greasy Spoon - Hank Marr|
See all 28 tracks on this disc
* Amazingly, no one has gathered together these hits on one CD before. Ace are the first to approach it unashamedly from a pop angle eschewing the consciously hip considerations that normally weigh down most jazz compilations.
* The brief has been slightly widened to include some hits from Billboard's "Bubbling Under" chart that was published as an adjunct to the Hot 100 in these years. However the genre was popular enough for us to include 15 Top 30 hits.
* Although some of the titles will be familiar to pop fans such as Dave Brubeck's `Take Five' or `The Girl From Ipanema' by Stan Getz and Astrud Gilberto, as ever these are leavened by the much less familiar and sometimes quite rare. Ace have also insisted on the single versions of the tracks, which haven't been available elsewhere, such as Watermelon Man and The Sidewinder.
* The usual superb quality sound and lavishly illustrated booklet rounds off this release.