Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 4 January 2008
I was very disappointed with this book! I have only given it 1 star because I had to for reviewing purposes otherwise I wouldn't have given it any.
If you are looking for an insightful book full of brilliant survival tips which enables you to plan for and survive disasters from earthquakes to floods and other emergency situations I would certainly not recommend this one. The advice given is very basic, often totally obvious to anyone except the most complete idiot, and appears to be backed up by a minimum of research or practical experience. The whole thing has the ring of an author who writes by formula looking for something to write about and simply jumping on the global warming bandwagon in order to make a few bucks.
I was looking for a book by an experienced survival expert which I would be able to keep in my emergency pack for survival situations. This one will be going in the bin. It only cost me a few pounds but I feel it was a few pounds wasted!
on 1 May 2009
Almost funny. Has advice such as, if there is a power failure which wipes out street lights at night while you're driving, turn your headlights on. And, if you do start a fire indoors, make sure it does not spread out of control. Which is useful because until I read this book I had planned to start a fire in my home and allow it to spread out of control.

So here's some more useful advice: don't waste time or money on books which state the blindingly obvious and treat the reader like a moron.
on 9 May 2010
Everyone should read this. There is a lot of good advice and methods to follow even IF we do not have to suffer Global Warming. I have bought this for each member of our family.
on 12 November 2007
This book rests on Brian Clegg's well established knowledge of popular science. Starting with a well-rounded review of the multiple causes of global warming, which explains all the various terms sprayed around the media these days, the book goes on to provide a wide variety tips for disaster scenarios.

I must confess, I was expecting some advice on how to live harmoniously in a way that does not destroy the environment, e.g. whether it is better to recycle glass than dispose of it etc. but checking back to the title and subtitle, the book does what it sets out to do. In other words, it assumes that global warming disasters are now an inevitable part of life and suggests how best to cope with them.

The book is written in a very easy style and it's possible to dip in or read it cover to cover. If you are into disaster planning, then this is the book for you!

Peter Cook

Author: 'Sex, Leadership and Rock'n'Roll - Leadership Lessons from the Academy of Rock'
on 15 August 2014
Very interesting book. It's quite light going, but has lots of tips.... just in case.
on 5 December 2014
a present, but flipping through looked good