Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 22 February 2014
A tale full of adventure, romance and emotion. With the added bonus that it's really funny. The image alone of an English gentleman and Charlie Chaplin impersonator making his way through Thailand and Brazil is enough to conjure up a smile. This is a well-told story which contains entertainment on every page, and features a likeable protagonist that you can't help but root for. His adventures will make you laugh, cringe and cry. It's a relatable story of somebody trying to find their place in a world that doesn't really make sense to them, trying to overcome personal fears and low self esteem and discovering what they are capable of. Great stuff.
on 21 February 2014
This is truly a piece of literary genius. The Gentleman Tramp fills you with hope for a better world, it will make you laugh and cry out loud. It left me thinking of Albert Camus 'The Outsider' and Eric Newby 'A Short Walk in the Hindukush'. The only problem was it has left me with that desperate itch to travel the world once more. 5 stars of brilliance!
on 18 February 2014
Having just put down 'Stoner' I wasn't expecting much from a new writer to match the ability to encapsulate a character so well in print. However, I was amazed. This story took me on a journey with the protagonist who was at once endearing and flawlessly crafted on the page. The book has a real warmth and sharpness of dry wit and you find yourself willing for the main character to succeed when also you sort of hope that he won't. Watch this Toby Glover, we'll be hearing more about him if he can produce another work like this.
on 5 May 2014
From the moment I started this book I became thoroughly immersed in the story. You feel like you are on the adventure too. There are times when it makes you laugh and times when you want to cry. A story told simply but expertly and one that draws the reader in with every twist and turn. I thoroughly recommend it.
on 19 May 2014
A story that follows the life of a young man who struggles to find a place within a society that seems to admire everything that he is not. We are given a first person recount of his attempt to carve out his own place, to find a place to fit, but without giving up on his own traditional values of what it means to be a gentleman. The speaker confides in us his deepest thoughts and his more superficial mental meanderings, whilst taking us on an exciting adventure around the world and inviting us to join him on a roller-coaster of love, sex and romance. I found this story to be a unique and eye-opening drama that is at times heart-warming and at others sad and melancholy. The book is a celebration of the smaller things in life, with nuggets of wisdom and a sense that the author has been there, done that and got the T-Shirt. Buy it!!
on 7 May 2014
I was recommended this book some time ago and I decided to take it with me on my journey abroad. I've always been the impatient traveller who can't sit still on a plane but The Gentleman Tramp proved to be a great choice as I literally forgot where I was the moment I started reading. The story just flowed so nicely I couldn't close my kindle until I was finished. It has a good share of funny moments and great descriptions. I thoroughly enjoyed it! A great read for anyone that likes travelling, different cultures and just needs something to cheer them up.
on 5 November 2014
What a wonderful read!
I read this in 2 days. The story had me cringing, crying and laughing in equal measure.
The book follows the adventurous travels and mishaps of a very endearing character who, despite his quirky qualities and at times odd behaviour, you can't help falling a little bit in love with.
I had to keep setting my alarm because I got so caught up in this fabulous and well written story that I lost all track of time.
I so hope there's a sequel soon, I miss that Gentleman Tramp!
on 19 February 2014
It's the best novel I've read in a long time. It has everything; romance, adventure and it's funny. It's a real page turner. I would recommend reading it!!
on 6 March 2014
Toby Glover's character brings genuine innocence and honesty to his purview of life in his search for romance and adventure.
My face held a wry smile from start to finish as the absurdity of mimicking Charlie Chaplin as a lifestyle choice gave way to a genuine appreciation of why we need such light relief, and the happiness it can bring during tough times. This is a human, no heirs and graces account of getting to grips with the world at large. Thailand, Brazil - it's all as he describes.

A genuinely fun read, even in its sadder moments. This is a really accessible book and I really hope there's a follow up - a little gem for anyone who picks it up!
on 25 January 2016
The Gentleman Tramp is an adventure from start to finish, peppered with humour and emotion. The central character's unique voice and philosophical attitude is endearing and you really root for him to find romance and adventure, no matter how many mistakes he makes along the way. Locations and details are beautifully described, and it's easy to feel like you're on the journey with him. I read it in one sitting and was genuinely disappointed when I came to the end of the book.