on 24 November 2008
You will have to look no further than this excellent guide its the complete A to Z of flowering shrubs. Whether you are a seasoned gardener or a novice like myself this book will appeal to all.

For each shrub you get : its Latin name,its common name,expected size,deciduous,climber or evergreen,available colours,flowering period,berrying period,a varieties description,info on site and soil,pruning info,propagation info,a colour photograph and a colour drawing.Now pardon my sarcasm but short of actually planting the shrubs for us I don't think there is much more that Dr.D.G.Hessayon can do!!

Also in this series are :The tree and shrub expert,The bulb expert and The lawn expert and these I can wholeheartedly recommend I'm aware of about 15 others but haven't read them, I would suspect an information overlap in there somewhere or am I being cynical.Anyway this ones well worth a read.
on 28 August 2008
I dont know what I would do with out this book when it comes to shrubs.
A must have when planting as gives straight forward information and the ideal location and the space needed when fully grown.
Gives very clear basic hints and tips when it comes to pruning and mulching.
I have lent this book to many friends who have shrubs that they are not sure about and they have all said what an easy to read book yet so informative.
on 6 November 2009
This series of books are excellent in gaining detailed horticultural information for the species included. Information such as site, soil type and positioning enable your chosen plants to flourish and problems with inherited stock to be easily identified. The plant troubles section is very detailed and also an excellent aid. I have followed the guidance in The Lawn Expert for existing and new lawns for the last 5 years and The Rose Expert for over 15 with spectacular results. They are not books filled with garden designs, more essential reference manuals and always my first port of call when searching for more information!The Flowering Shrub Expert (Expert books)
on 26 July 2014
Very useful for a novice gardener like me. Tells me in a few pictures and paragraphs about plant size and colour, flowering period, varieties, site and soil, pruning and propagation
on 30 June 2013
I bought this book for my daughter who has just bought her first house which has a mature garden so that she can look up the shrubs and find out how best to care for them etc. She found this a very useful general reference book and for its size, it has a wealth of information - definitely recommended.
on 29 June 2014
just what we needed, has most of the answers perfect for our needs, would recommend to everyone, so come along and buy it.
on 18 September 2013
So easy to find what you are looking for without poring through page after page and appendix after appendix. Written in easy to understand language, so I actually learn from it as it all sinks in. Excellent series.
on 31 January 2014
Great easy reference for gardeners who do not want to read pages and pages to know what they need to do in a nutshell. Small enough to keep handy. Would recommend.
on 20 January 2016
One of my first books when I started gardening many years ago was the Tree and Shrub expert. This book is a much revised version of that excellent book, brought more up to date and without the tree bit. Very useful when planning an overhaul or faced with a new garden. The information is clear providing and alphabetically arranged list of popular and not so popular shrubs with all the relevant details of preferred locations, height and spread and planting conditions.
on 3 April 2014
Really useful, full of informtion all Dr Heyyson books are good but at Amazon price you cannot go wrong. Good Buy.