Top critical review
20 people found this helpful
Poor proofreading makes kindle edition a bad experience
on 1 January 2011
I have read a lot about the Somme and visited the battlefield in 2010. This book was recommended to me as a way of deepening my understanding of what happened on the first day. So far, my interest in the content has been marred by some appalling proofreading. Verbatim examples (working backwards from my furthest point):
1. Location 993-99: "...due to the habit of setting up their H.g.'s(sic) in the best cMteaux (sic), in some luxury."
2. At various locations the abbreviations for "Commander - in-Chief" and "General Headquarters" "Commanding Officer" and others are written entirely in lower case, which is quite incorrect.
3. The table of relative earnings for soldiers at location 885-98 is poorly laid out and refers to the earnings of a 2nd Lieutenant as being "is. 6d" and a Lance Corporal "is. 3d
4. Location 761-71: "(officers and seniorNco's (sic) were excused)"
5. Location 715-24: "...the S1st Division saw no action there..." The use of an "S" for the figure 5 happens several times see location 686-96 for another.
There are more, but this will do for now.
The point is that this level of proofreading would be unacceptable in a printed book so I do not see why it should be acceptable in an Ebook that cost me £8.99.
I am reasonably knowledgeable about the subject and so have been able to see the mistakes. A person who was coming to the subject for the first time may well end up confused or misled as a result of them.
I don't know what process Amazon uses to transcribe books into Ebooks, but something has gone wrong with this one. An updated version without the misprints would be welcome.
I haven't finished the book yet, so I am not commenting on it for content. I just wanted to get this irritation off my chest.