on 2 July 2009
The last in the series of four books this is not only brilliantly researched, and giving fascinating insights to aspects of the 2nd World War that I never knew about, but through four very engaging protagonists. It is a great story and keeps you gripped to the last page. It even gives scope for more story to tell. Brilliant.
on 5 July 2009
The Final Act was eagerly await from 2008, and I was not disappointed.
A wonderful story with strong links between friends and lovers. An
absolute must to read.
on 7 August 2009
This was much anticipated and didn't disappoint - the quality was not lost and I loved it. Hilary Green has to write something else... please
on 21 July 2010
I was very happy with this final book in the saga - it was, as always, gripping reading. After 3 books I know and love these characters so enjoyed spending more time with them and following them to the very well crafted and satisfying conclusion. I admire how the author wove all the various threads together to create a satisfying end to such a broad ranging drama. But I was also very sad to say goodbye to them and to shut the book and know I won't be able to find out "what happened next" to all the characters as they faced life after the war.

Hilary always combines well drawn, sympathetic characters, with careful research and compelling storylines. Since "discovering" this series of books I found myself doing what I used to do as a child, staying up far too late reading because I simply had to know what happens, particularly in some of the scenes involving partisans and SOE operatives. I can't recommend Hilary Green's work highly enough - more please!
on 29 April 2011
I was distraught when I found this was out of print, and started scouring the local shops, charity shops, libraries etc until I finally found a hardback edition on here! I simply could not put it down, it is a brilliant piece of writing, well researched. To the lady who couldn't find a copy of Theatre of War - I have it in paperback, bought in a shop recently, so keep trying!
on 26 March 2010
I have read all of Hilary Green's available books and every single one has been very difficult to put down. The Follies series has been a brilliant story right the way through, also the historical fact very informative. The second world war is an interest of mine, and I have learned a lot from these books.

It is a shame that of the 4 books Theatre of War (book 3) is now out of print by Hodder the publishers. I have tried very hard to obtain a copy, but is is just not available, other than if it turned up at a book sale. I wrote to Hodder to try and obtain a copy and also to see if it was likely to go into print, but it won't be. Rather a strange action to take I thought, to stop publishing book 3, but to continue publishing book 4!!!!

I did however jump to book 4 and managed to pick up the story,so don't let this stop you from reading The Final Act it's just a shame that those missing bits are never going to be read.

Hilary Green is a brilliant author who writes intelligent stories. I do hope she is able in the future to write and publish more books.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2012
I love all the books in this series, mainly because the characters are so credible and the history is accurate. But it is a shame that the writer couldn't decide whether Merry's cottage is in Seaford or Shoreham and that no-one spotted the misspelling of the Bechstein piano.
on 5 October 2013
I found a copy of Now is the Hour in a second hand book shop by chance but on starting to read it, I couldn't put it down. The four main characters are so well drawn you feel as if you know them as well, (or better), as real-life friends or family. I then set out to find if any more had been written and yes! found the other three. They can be read independently but it is even better if read in order because you can follow the story line even easier.
I have certainly learnt a lot regarding the last world war and Hilary Greens research into details of that time is brilliant in every way. I love the way she 'ties up all loose ends' at the end of the Final Act, my only disappointment being I cannot tap in to see what Merry and Felix, Rose and Richard are doing now!
on 3 November 2011
I have read the other three Follies and this was the fourth, what a fabulous Author, I went from one book to the other I just couldn't wait and I think I read them in record time. I have now loaned them out to friends and family as I want them to enjoy these books just like I did.

I was really (as usual) impressed with the service I received, touch wood I have never had a complaint when I order anything from Amazon.
VINE VOICEon 23 November 2012
Having read the first three I couldn't not go for this one and was really pleased that I did. Some areas are predictable and some a little stretched to the imagination but for all that I really enjoyed the whole series and will read them again sometime in the future. Worth picking up for a read but better to read them in the right order