I loved The Fast Show when it was first broadcast in the 90's. It was very different from the comedy staples of the time i.e. sitcoms set in domestic situations. It was mostly made up of short sketches with recurring comedy characters. A lot of the sketches had little or no storyline, which, strangely enough, is often what made them funny.
I watched this box set recently and if you liked it first time around it is worth buying it, as you will enjoy the jokes just as much.
The set contains are seven DVD's featuring:
- Series 1-3
- An hour long Christmas Special
- The Last Fast Show Ever - three slightly longer episodes that I hadn't seen before
- A BBC Comedy Connections episode about The Fast show
- Clips from The Fast Show night on BBC2, featuring fans and interviews
- A number of interviews with Charlie Higson, Paul Whitehouse and other members of the cast.
I think the second series was the best. Parts of the first series weren't great and the makers admit this themselves. Some of the sketches became longer (e.g. Channel 9/Ted and Ralph) but were just as funny. Perhaps at this stage it should have been renamed "The Catchphrase Show".
M favourite characters are Competitive Dad and Carl Hooper.
My favourite line is Carl Hooper's immortal query - "Bats, are they blind or just taking the mickey out of me?"