Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 May 1999
This books has been incredibly helpful for me, an adult child of an alcoholic. I read it several years ago when a friend told me that my Dad was an alcoholic. My family always denied the truth, but after reading this book, I could no longer pretend that all was well in my family of origin. This book is very insightful and describes the intricacies of the relationships that exist in both functional and dysfunctional families. It's a great first step in discovering the underlying motivations for compulsive/obsessive behaviors that many of us exhibit.
on 25 August 1998
I cannot recommend this book more highly to anyone who has wondered how their family dynamics have shaped their personality. This book truly gives you the tools you need to get past your family control dramas and move on to being a self-actuated adult.
on 14 July 2006
Having read many books on the subject of being an adult child, this is the most theoretical I have come across so far.

It helps to firmly place the problems of addiction and codependency within a social framework and has helped me with my journey in seeing that my parents are simply acting out ways in which they themselves were brought up as were their parents before them and so on.

Although there are some practical suggestions for action towards the end of the book, I found this book to be of most use in the understanding of how my own codepency issues fit into a wider picture of society. Other books I have read provide more specific exercises on recovering self-esteem for example "Do I have to give up me to be loved by you?" (The workbook) by Margaret and Jordan Paul and "An Adult Child's Guide to What's Normal" by Friel and Friel.

Overall I would say this book is a very interesting read in terms of fitting the specific problems of addiction/codependency/adult children into the problems of our society in general.
on 30 October 1998
Bradshaw presents the information in a very logical, non-threatening way. It was easy to read and understand. It makes so much sense. He gives concrete, workable solutions. I felt very relieved and hopeful after reading the book.
on 4 February 2016
A difficult read if you grew up in a dysfunctional family - the truth can be very painful to realise years later but a great book for anymore who is undergoing psychotherapy or thinking of undergoing psychotherapy at some point.
on 29 October 2014
Absolutely mind blowing. A book for society. A book that would benefit society and families if only everyone would read it and take it on board there would be real change and development and more love and understanding in this world.
on 1 August 2013
I like this book for it's chapters and summary; it helps to understand where I've come from. Some of the language isn't as straight forward to aid a wider audience though - some previous knowledge and understanding is a help. Would recommend
on 12 August 2010
I have previously read this book and it is a valuable resource. I have ordered a copy for my wife as a gift but after 2 months still received it. No explanations or appologies from Amazon only requests to keep waiting. the book good, customer service extremely poor...
on 5 November 2014
The ultimate guide to self awareness & healing, written with great personal passion as well as theoretical accuracy
on 7 June 1999
Bradshaw does a good job of helping you identify problems, but doesn't do as well at helping you solve them. It ultimately left me a bit depressed. He also gets a little goofy at the end, talking about people who stick spikes in their veins and then heal themselves, or who only sleep a few hours a week.