Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£9.59

on 7 November 2013
I must say that I have found this series surprisingly seductive. I first started out buying the volumes on the Vickers-Maxim and Martini-Henri rifle for a historical project I was working on and was struck by the concise combination of technical detail and historical information that they provided. A couple more volumes on German automatic weapons of WW2 followed and now this, my first Cold War purchase. I have to say that, while all have been excellent this is perhaps the best. Maybe it is the fact that the FN FAL is so ubiquitous and yet so understudied; the Western European equivalent of the M16 and AK47/74 it is the poor Belgian cousin that seems to have been everywhere and yet no one seems to pay it much attention. In fact, so ubiquitous was it that it was even used by both sides in the Falklands War, a fact which did not escape Billy Bragg's attention in his song 'Island of no Return'. Once more, the combination of technical detail and historical context are excellent but what really makes this volume stand out is the superb artwork by Steve Noon (who, incidentally, seems to get very little credit on this listing). As most readers of Osprey titles will appreciate, each volume tends to stand or fall by its artwork and in this case I think Steve Noon has produced some of the most captivating illustrations I have yet seen in an Osprey publication. All three plates, the 'Bush War' in Rhodesia, the ANZACs in Vietnam and, perhaps most spectacularly of all, the image of the Falklands War, are so vivid and kinetic as to really capture the imagination. All, in all, a great addition to a fantastic series.
on 10 December 2013
I purchased this book primiarly because I was a former user of this assault/battle rifle for many years and can testify to the tremendous strength and reliability reputation it has earned. It is extremely accurate and hard hitting .The book is rather a lightweight when it comes to technical data. I would have preferred more technical cut away diagrams demonstrating the falling block locking system ,the reloading cycle etc.
To summarise this book is not the best Osprey publication I have read or own( 70+).
Had I have had the opportunity to handle and browse the book in a bookshop I would have replaced it on the shelf.

Probitas est optimus capessentem.
on 12 March 2014
As an ex user of the SLR I enjoyed this book and I hadn't realised how extensively it was used around the world and the effect it has had as a weapon in history. The book makes interesting comparisons with the true 'assault rifles' and how the FAL didn't really follow this concept but staked it's place as a 'battle rifle' with different capabilities, strengths and weaknesses. I'm always glad to read other accounts of how fierce the recoil of this rifle was and that it wasn't just me that got assaulted by the thing every time I fired it.
on 12 March 2015
Great little book, packed with information. The history and context of the rifles history is very well dealt with. All round a very good read that avoids getting bogged down
on 19 March 2015
Good overall view of this iconic weapon, although more could be done to cover the British SLR L1a1 version. Another good book from this informative series.
on 14 January 2014
Very nice piece of reading not too techical to spoil it,dealt with most aspects of the weapon that the casual reader would be interested in.
on 16 August 2014
Wonderful book glad to find it for sale good read love FAL's !
on 19 February 2015
an excellent book delivery as usual prompt
on 17 February 2015
thank you.
goes well with rifle.
on 11 August 2014
Good read. Very informative.