on 2 May 1999
As a parent of an explosive child for 7 years, and a teacher of special education for 22, I highly recommend The Explosive Child. Dr. Greene has been able to help me transcend years of my own frustration to see this type of child through brand new eyes. The book not only presents a plan for prioritizing goals, it teaches the parent how to instruct the child in negotiation, adjusting to disappointment, and handling frustration. Additionally, and perhaps most importantly, it teaches adults how to reduce frustration in the child's environment, so explosive episodes are less likely to occur. Actual dialogue and scenarios from therapy sessions are used to illustrate these methods. Dr. Greene's subtle humor makes this an easy read with practical principles that can be implemented immediately.
on 31 December 1998
I can't really do more than echo the praises of other reviewers, but I wanted to add that this excellent book will be also be indispensible for many parents of children with autism, Asperger's syndrome or PDD-NOS. Most of the examples in the book focus on kids with ADHD or Tourette's, and the book only mentions PDD very briefly, but its wise advice would be equally relevant to verbal kids with autistic spectrum conditions who have rage attacks/tantrums, as many do.
I'm speaking from personal experience here - I have Asperger's syndrome (a mild autistic spectrum condition), and, looking back, as a child I definitely fitted the "inflexible-explosive" patterns described in the book. This book encapsulates all the wisdom my exhausted parents had to learn the hard way.
I already know of at least one parent of a teenager with AS who is currently finding the book absolutely lifesaving, and I've had to buy several copies to lend to people.
It's thoughtful, humane, and very practical. Very highly recommended.
on 2 November 1998
This book does a great service for parents and families of hard-to-parent children. It descibes one of my children to a tee. I particularly liked this book for its emphasis on finding ways to help these children become successful, happy children and eventually adults. Parents of these children can become discouraged (I know I have many times). This book keeps them on the road to a successful relationship with their child. When I asked one psychologist why my child acts the way she does, he responded that not every child is easy to raise and that I had gotten one of the more challenging ones. He encouraged me to be creative with the ways in which I handled this child because the usual methods were unlikely to work. This book, The Explosive Child, reinforced this helpful man's advice.
on 1 May 1999
If you live with an explosive child, you've probably tried all the behavior modification techniques out there. If your child is like mine, nothing has worked yet. Don't give up. Get this book. Devour it. Give it to anyone who interacts with your child. Dr. Ross really understands what makes explosive kids tick, and he offers a loving look at how to help them and how to make your homelife much more enjoyable. We're down from one melt-down per day to about one every couple of weeks -- primarily thanks to the way Dr. Ross taught us how to relate to our wonderful, inflexible child. If you ever get a chance to go to one of Dr. Ross' seminars -- go!!!!!
on 25 July 2014
A very easy to read book and one which makes you realise that you are not alone. Easy to follow instructions and approaches and a good description of how to problem solve with your child. Well worth the time to read.
on 2 December 2014
Brilliant book. A must read for any parent:carer. Lots of information. Defiantly recommended. Great for children with AD (attachment disorder) and techniques to deal with all kinds of behaviours
on 5 December 1998
I can't really do more than echo the praises of other reviewers, but I wanted to add that this excellent book will be also be indispensible for parents of children with conditions such as high-functioning autism, Asperger's syndrome or PDD-NOS, who often fall into the pattern Dr. Greene describes, being prone to inflexibility, attacks of panic or rage, and "getting stuck" when faced with an unexpected problem or change of plan. Dr. Greene only mentions these conditions briefly, but the sensible and humane advice he gives will be just as relevant as it is to the other neurological conditions (such as ADHD and Tourette's) which feature in his examples.
I speak from personal experience here, as I have Asperger's syndrome myself, and was definitely "inflexible-explosive" (Dr. Greene's term) as a child - I recognise my own behavior in a lot of his examples.
This book encapsulates a lot of wisdom that my parents had to learn the hard way, and I would happily recommend it to any parents whose children display the patterns and problems that Dr. Greene describes, whichever neurochemical condition is behind them.
on 23 November 1998
Dr. Greene is 100% right - I've been there. I could have written this book myself. It is excellent to see that a professional has studied these children and has found a common sense, practical approach to handling this unique challange. I love it that now when a parent finds themselves where I did 6 years ago, that parent can now pick up this book and find out how to help their children.
Excellent book. Important for school social workers to read ASAP.
on 19 October 1998
Even after reading just a couple of chapters, I had a much better understanding of what is behind my daughter's inflexible behavior that causes so much stress for her and the whole family. Having that understanding made it possible for us to reduce our emotional entanglement in her explosive episodes. That, in turn, freed us to help prevent inflexible responses from turning into full-scale meltdowns. Dr. Greene's approach of helping her get "unstuck" from situations where she couldn't make necessary transitions worked the very first time I tried it.
Dr. Greene compassionately explains the causes of explosive behavior, offers instant support and effective strategies, and offers hope that with proper treatment, we can look forward to easier times. There must be many families, locked in ongoing battles with inflexible children, who can benefit from this caring book.
on 30 December 1998
This is the first book I have read that actually addresses my daughters disorder. It was great to find out I am not alone and there is help available. I have read many books on difficult children with ADHD but this is by far the best. I have been researching this for over 5 years. Thank you Ross Greene for a terrific book!