Format: PaperbackChange

on 20 August 2013
My wife left this book on the bedroom table when she went out to work this morning. Attracted by the pretty colours on the cover and having nothing else to do all day I eventually worked out which way round it went and stretched out on the couch in my underpants for a read. A couple of times I nearly lost interest but the print was nice and big and there were loads of references to TV shows that I used to watch back before my wife hid the remote so in the end I stuck with it, rising only a couple of times to grab a beer or urinate out the door of the trailer.

From what I could gather Ms Rosin seems to think that we men have in some way lost our 'maleness' - that being the ability to make more money, get higher grades and generally be better human beings then our womenfolk - and at times I found myself agreeing with her, and then hating myself for doing so. And then hating myself for hating myself for agreeing with her. And then just getting all plain confused.

She does have a point though. Since feminism came along we've let ourselves go a bit, us men. Reckon we held that door open a little too long and now we're stuck out in the rain being laughed at. But hey ho - that didn't bother me none as I stretched out on my couch smoking and reading and scratching my what-nots. You ladies wanted empowerment - enjoy!

Back to the book. It seems to comprise of Ms Rosin hanging around with a load of really busy women with waster husbands who lead her to the easy conclusion that we're all total dweebs. She doesn't say so in as many words but it's there sure enough, in all them clever short sentences she uses, you know the type when you just give a minor detail, such as 'Hank sits there picking his nose and dribbling whilst Mary-Lou changes all six children whilst finishing her thesis,' before changing subject like the point's already been made. But I didn't mind this, and in fact I kind of wished that she'd provided the telephone numbers for these men at the back of the book as they all seemed like pretty clever guys to me, the sort of fellows I'd happily share a little XBox time with providing they wasn't too good or got rude and shouty down the headset, if you know what I mean. Seems like they were doing just fine sitting on their couches smoking cigarettes - just like me - whilst their lady folk went out and earned all the money and did all the shopping and got all the degrees and such. Seems like a pretty fair deal.

Anyways, I got about halfway through the thing before my wife came home with our three children and it was time for me to watch her feed them and put them all to bed again, which I did, with a beer, on my couch, still in my underpants. But before you get the wrong idea about the kind of man I am I want you to know that I did two other things that night, started two 'beginnings' if you like, to combat all this male end-ness.

The first thing I done was email Hanna Rosin and invite her over for a beer so that she could study me for her next book, 'Goodbye Man!' or 'Men? What Men?' or whatever else she chooses to call it. Reckon I'd make a great case study just like all them others.

The second thing I done was start my own novel, 'The End of Underpants,' 'cos 56% of mine have got a hole in them and the way I see it when they're gone I won't be able to afford any more. Now all I gotta do is write a few descriptions of the worst offenders in my grots draw and hey presto - instant bestseller. I might even take some pictures of some of my wife's newest fancy knickers as proof that underpants are officially coming to an end.

Gotta go now - my wife's just getting back in from her night shift at the strip club (empowerment baby!) and I don't want her to catch me fiddlin' with her laptop. Ciao.
33 comments25 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2013
This has to be one of the most-discussed books on the question of gender in, well, the history of the gender debate. I used 'linkjacking' in the review title because a dramatic title such as this could never fail to fly off the shelves and gain hits online. The book itself suffers from three main flaws:

1) The statistical data is selective at best and flawed at worst. Here is a breakdown of the statistics used in the book:

[...]

2) Since publication, one of the stay-at-home dads involved in the book has complained of being misrepresented in the book. His story makes for interesting reading:

[...]

3) On another level, one must feel pity for Rosin's son for the way she has publicly cast gloom over his life chances. The stereotyping which emanates from the book has had some British commentators frothing.

Needless to say, Rosin will make a shedload of cash from this and see this as proof of her case. Meanwhile, in the Declining West, both women and men will see their economic power diminish. Now that is something which will, in her words, cause 'a ripple', and which both genders will have to adapt to.
0Comment9 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 November 2012
The title of this book is misleading. The author in no way proves her thesis that the end of men is anywhere near. She does show that some men have difficulty adapting to the 21st century. The whole premise is just wrong.

On the back cover of the book it is stated that 50% of those in jobs in the UK are women. So what? Over 50% of the population are women. It also states that women dominate professional schools on every continent except Africa. While women may be the majority of students in faculties such as law and medicine in some developed countries, they are in a tiny minority when it comes to professors and those who are in the management of education and in control of the finance which is allocated to education. She doesn't mention at all the number of women who are denied education completely in some parts of the world. She also doesn't mention the fact that only 14% seats on the boards of European companies which are quoted on the stock markets are occupied by women. Anybody who doubts the dominance of men on the world stage should have a look at the photographs of the get-togethers of the countries of the United Nations.Count the women leaders.

I think the problem with this book is that the author concentrates on a small set of people in a certain socio-economic position, and ignores the plight of poor women, single parents and those on welfare. Even those women she writes about in relation to their so-called sexual liberation have adopted stereo-typical male standards of behaviour in their work and in their love lives, and are not particularly fulfilled in either.

I could go on, but will finish with the observation that if you wish to read an academic book which is based on a wide sample of different societies, and which give a comprehensive view on gender today, this is not the book.
55 comments27 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 January 2015
I'm all up for equality but this book is sensless , obnoxious and completely degrading to men and boys. I was under the impression the we now lived in an equal society where views like this had no room to raise its ugly head. There is no factual plausibility to the statistics given whatsoever other than to say that we have equality at last which is a good thing. Your boys must be really proud of you writing such a book to degrade them and insight further degrading their very manhood. What possessed you to write such rubbish when you could have researched the reasons as to why education is 'failing' boys and suggest positive ways in which boys and girls can grow together to make our world a more informative and better place. This book is utter rubbish!
on 6 October 2013
Some people will hate this book. Consider one of the reviewers here at Amazon. Self-proclaimed "British Expert" Kevin Smith had this to say:

"This book is telling actually just 2 clear things, underlined and repeated over and over again:

EVERYTHING that a women does is RIGHT. No matter what.

EVERYTHING that a masculine man does is WRONG and he is GUILTY for being born a man.

Things are simple, without any other shades of grey, for her"

The reviewer continues to furnish us with some colourful examples to illustrate his case. Unfortunately, none of them has anything whatsoever to do with the book he's reviewing. Bit of a missed opportunity there. Still, it's not as though Mr. Smith ever claimed to be a "book review" expert, so perhaps we shouldn't judge him too harshly.

So why all the anger and the one-star ratings? Is the book really as bad as all that? I suspect that much of the problem stems from the bombastic assertions on the back cover of the book. It's there that we're told that "by almost every measure, [women] are outperforming [men]". If the book stands or falls by this claim then I would have to concur with the other reviewers. It's true - despite providing us with an abundance of interesting and unexpected facts and arguments- Rosin nonetheless fails to make a watertight case for the bold conclusion promised by the back cover (this failure becomes most apparent when the author dedicates a later chapter to dealing with the difficulties many women have with getting fair pay and promotions - which rather undermines her case.)

Might there be more to a book than just one argument though..? Can't we find value in the many details, statistics and anecdotes that the author presents us with (even if they are partial)..? Isn't there something to be said for a book that helps the reader to look at a situation afresh, as if for the first time? I think that if the reader approaches the book with modest hopes and intentions then he or she will be pleasantly surprised. I was. Rosin's book might not be the final word on the subject (see Kat Banyard's "The Equality Illusion" for a compelling counterpoint), but it is instructive and thought-provoking nonetheless.

Contrary to what some will say, this book is important and well worth a read, despite its flaws.
on 6 October 2014