on 6 February 2003
A fantastically comprehensive book which leaves most others looking incomplete...in our house it is referred to as `The Bible'! This book was recommended to me by a friend who also happens to be a midwife - her comment was that it was one of the best she had seen. Excellent birth education, really useful 'self help' sections and an extremely comprehensive medical reference section are just some of the highlights - physical, emotional and intellectual needs are all met, and there's plenty of good down to earth practical know-how too. Every time we turn to it with a question, we come away with the question answered in a complete and satisfying manner. Very readable and lots of inspiring pictures too!
on 9 May 2002
This book contains all the information you need if you are thinking about having an active birth. It offers lots of information about how to prepare for the birth with practical advice on exercises, nutrition, how to care for your baby on the fist days of her life and the most important part, at least for me, the emotional aspects of pregnancy and parenthood. There is very useful chapter on baby and mother massage with very good illustrations and the baby massages work really well!!. It has a handy reference section that I keep on going back to every time I have doubts about what is wrong with my baby and how to deal with it. I recommend this book to any first time mother who wants to know as much as possible about the pregnancy and wants to be well prepared for the arrival of her baby. I had an active birth at home and I have found this book invaluable.
on 8 May 2003
I first got this book when I was pregnant with my first child, It really helped me through every step of pregnancy. I felt it was so good that I lent it to a friend who became pregnant after I had given birth. I never got it back, as she moved away, and we lost contact, and now that I am pregnant again, I feel lost without it - so I re-ordered it from Amazon - and I will have it by tomorrow thank god!
If you want a book that covers everything you need to know - buy this one, it is the best book for pregnant couples ever!
on 21 September 2000
I've read most of the leading titles on the market - but this is my absolute favourite. Clear - concise - practical and comprehensive, look no further if you want the full story on pregnancy, birth and early parenthood
on 27 December 2008
The book was first published in 1987 but still seems completely relevant today, I guess pregnancy has not changed that much. Sensible information on nutrition, the baby in the womb, birth and early baby care. It is a close call between this book and "Your Pregnancy Bible" by Dr Anne Deans, I actually prefer the latter published in 2003 the illustrations are better and even more informative and the whole text seems more modern
on 12 March 2014
I was recommended this book by a friend, and whilst I agree that some sections seem a little dated, it is also full of really invaluable information. The section on the different stages of labour, and what to expect during pre-labour and the initial stages, I read over repeatedly in the last few weeks of my pregnancy when hoping that every little ache might be a sign that things were about to happen. Worth buying for that alone.
on 30 December 2011
I have brought this book 3 times!! Once for me (passed on to a friend) and then twice for other friends who were pregnant! I found it a very useful book to dip into for advice and it is very comprehensive. It does have some out of date information as it's quite old, like place your baby to sleep on their front. Overall though a fantastic book for pregnancy, birth and the early months.
on 27 September 2004
This book had alot of valuble information in it. I felt though as a first time mum (and fairly young) that the wording and the pictures were a bit out of date. It was like reading a biology book from the seventies! However there is a section at the back of the book with lots of information about various health issues during pregnancy and how to deal with them - this was very useful to me. I would recommend this book but not perhaps for first time parents to be like myself.