on 7 February 2002
I have just finish working my way through this book and although it my have been an arduous task at times it was most certainly a beneficial one. I have seen other text books that my make learning New Testament Greek look more fun but they do not have Wenham's depth or structure. This revised edition is also most beneficial for those in my generation that were not taught grammar at school; every thing is explained unpatronisingly and intellectually. You'll find you know a lot more about English as well as having a full grasp of New Testament Greek.
VINE VOICEon 30 September 2012
This is a traditional textbook, of the explanation + drill variety. It is systematically organised and, on the whole sensibly paced.
I used it for self-teaching. However, I have a background in classical Greek, and wanted to see how koine compared. I found that the amount of explanation Wenham gave in the later chapters was a bit sparse, and rather oversimplified the complexities. I am not sure how comprehensible these chapters would be, to someone relying on his explanation alone.

The plus points:
i) this DOES cover everything: it is not one of those courses that decides 'this is what we think you really need to know' and leaves you floundering when you come across something outside its remit
ii) real attention has been paid to ensuring you learn the most useful vocabulary as soon as possible, rather than arbitrary or idiosyncratic choices

The negative:
i) The rigid format allots the same amount of space to each grammatical topic; this means that the more difficult aspects get a rather rushed treatment.
ii) This book was written in an era when English grammar was taught formally in schools. It therefore assumes familiarity with this terminology. If you have never studied a language in this way before, this book gives no introduction to it!
on 4 October 2001
This used to be the standard text for many years and, to be honest, it is OK. However, there are much better ways to study Greek than this.
I have on my shelf a collection of 10+ different basic Greek grammars - from the very old to the very new. This is the best of the older ones and better than several new ones in different ways. However, it doesn't even come close to the best.
If you want to learn NT Greek you should not be distracted by this new marketing push of an outdated text. Buy "The Basics of Biblical Greek" by Bill Mounce (both the grammar & workbook)and then continue on through the consistently excellent Zondervan series as you progress. You won't regret it!
I tried many grammars including this one - I wish I had found Mounce's first.
on 11 May 2002
On the whole I like this book. It is methodical, systematic and tries to present the material in a clear and simple way. My one reservation is the exercises and revisions. Firstly you need to buy a key if you want to see the answers to the exercises, secondly the later exercises contain words not covered in the vocabulary and lastly there are regular revisions but no answers. I found this to be most frustrating but otherwise I would say this is a pretty good introduction.
I learned Greek from this book in 1994, but failed to teach myself or understand any of what was going on. (As other reviewers mention, my ignorance of English grammatical terms was the biggest obstacle.). However, once I had found someone to teach me, this book was magnificent. It's not the most user-friendly, but for someone like me - it is also necessary to buy the Key. I've worked entirely through this book twice now, and prefer this as the text from which to teach (even though it's updated version by Duff is much more user friendly). The problem with Duff, is that although the text book itself contains some of the answers, it does not contain all of them.

If you're teaching yourself - I would complement this book with Dobson's. Ultimately however, it is viritually impossible to teach yourself unless you're confident with grammatical structure. Beg, borrow, steal - find yourself someone who can teach you the basics. If you can find someone to help, I still believe this is the best book!
on 13 May 2000
As bible college students we have found this book to be a priceless tool. Admitedly our lecturer Dr. Balfour has made this book come alive. Assuming one understands the morpholgy of the english language one will find this book to be the most efficient way to learn to read the original texts of the New Testament. The late Dr. J.W. Wenham has ensured the continuation of those intending to master the Koine Greek language. eirene eis auton
on 26 December 2013
I have the more up-to-date edition of this book, by Duff, and it is very good, but this fills in the gaps.
on 7 March 2016
I got this book as I wanted to learn little more about New Testament Greek. It was very helpful at giving a introduction to the topic. It starts at the very basics like the Greek alphabet and takes you through to writing and reading paragraphs. It was recommended to me and I would do the same to others.
on 18 February 2013
The edition I received was not the one pictured and clearly an older version. Other than that it was exactly as I remembered it from 30 years ago.
on 19 June 2015