on 12 February 2002
Our son who is four years old cannot speak at all. I bought this book on a recommendation and to my amazement it described my son, not only has it given us hope for a brighter future for our little boy, it has also vanished the feeling of being alone and 'different'. To anyone who has a child in similar circumstances this book would be a invaluable read. It gives insight into why your child may be different and gives many examples of children and adults who have battled through similar situations and have 'caught up', many of which have excelled themselves in many different areas. If this subject is close to your heart then read this book, it shows there may be light at the end of the tunnel after all!
33 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 August 2005
Do you have a child who is 2 or 3 years old and is not talking, often not performing tasks that you demand from him, and yet you think he is understanding your speech? Does he have first class tantrums? Does he get frustrated because he expects you to understand what he wants without him saying it, and sometimes you don't? Does he go to school and seem to be retarded compared to his peers, not talking and not participating in activities? Is he exceptionally good at solving puzzles, concentrates on tasks he chooses?
Read this book and you might see him described here. He might also be autistic, or have Asperger syndrome, read about those too, but be cautious with early intervention, do the early intervention yourself, spend more time with him, put him to sleep with you in your bed, talk to him, take him on trips and walks, avoid routine, these things can't hurt. I read this book when my child was 2 and not saying one word, not even mama. Now he is 2 and a half and just started talking.
on 27 September 2012
My son is 3yrs and 4 months. Up to 1 month ago he said "more" and "bicky". That was it! He didn't call my name, didn't communicate, when prompted to repeat words, he did but out of context. For example: "Call Molly", he would say "call Molly", rather than actually call her.

He is being assessed and pushed down the road of Aspergers by the professionals. However, I didn't agree with this as how he "performed" during assessments was out of character when he was out of that environment. I quit my job with the aim of focusing on him and finding out how I could help him. Whilst browsing on Amazon for books to help me with his speech and language development, I found this book. I was intrigued with it from the moment I "looked inside".

This book has been a godsend for me. I don't believe my son would be on the cut and clear diagnosis of Einstein Syndrome, but if he was to be labelled this or Autistic, then the former certainly wins hands down. This book has given me a new approach towards my son and I've looked at him in a different light since starting to read it. How I interact with him, deal with his tantrums, process what the professionals say and by and large has made me back up my son instead of doubting is ability to be "normal". Since my approach has changed and I've given my son my time, he is a different child. My mother and mother-in-law who minded him between them for the 3 days I worked hadn't seen him in about 2-3 weeks. They were shocked at his progress and interaction. He has now started playschool 3 days per week which is now pushing him along further and his awareness of other children and desire to play with them has opened up.

He is now speaking full sentences, beginning to answer questions with logical answers - not completely coherent or complete but they are answers. His behaviour that I had put down to destructive and autistic-like can now be explained and even gotten around now.

This book changed my behaviour towards him and in return he has thrived. I would highly recommend this book if only as a different slant to the same stuff being churned out at every child with speech delay.

I and my husband are computer scientists and play the piano. My sister is a software developer, brother an accountant, 2 other brothers are engineers. My in-laws are engineers, accountants and play the piano too.
He is fully proficient on the iphone, you tube (navigates around it finding educational tools himself), he obsesses about animals, loves water, loves the piano, has started reading (recognises all letters of the alphabet and will say a word beginning with that letter), he said the alphabet in totality one night when I was lying beside him in bed and said to him "let's sing the ABC". I wasn't expecting a response, but he just started singing it. I've more or less been kicked out of speech therapy with him as he just stands at the door now and says "go back home". He will NOT play ball with them. We walk out of the office and there's not a bother on him. The speech therapist wants a psychological assessment and expects autism too. Before I'd cry for days after that, now I examined her techniques and found more flaws in what she was offering him that the other way around. No doubt that will be interpreted as me in denial.

2 things that this book has changes in me:

1. My outlook and approach towards all aspects of my childs behaviour and life
2. I give him every bit of time I have. For example: instead of my mam minding him whilst I bring my daughter swimming because he might be difficult. He is brought regardless of the extra work/effort/difficulty on my behalf. The results have been that he learns new words and gets used to environments quickly. Bring them with you everywhere and talk incessantly and clearly about everything you or they are doing.

I gave it 4 stars only as there were a bit too many samples iterating the same thing.
on 30 August 2006
This is the first book I have found and read specifically on Speech and Language delay since my son was diagnosed by his nursery 3.5 years. It has been an uphill battle getting enough appropriate speech and language support since then, with professionals who provided him with repeatative and insulting exercises which we were able to implement more creatively and effectively at home. I read this with an open mind and still do not think by son is an "Eistein" however our son does have circa 90% of the key elements which Sowell defines - eg IT skills, musical and extremely affectionate. This positve booked helped me to continue to fight on sons' behalf.
on 26 May 2008
This book is a must for parents of children being labelled by professionals as having Autism or global development delay (as my own child has wrongly been.)
Don't be in a hurry to believe the doctors, read this book first.
on 30 January 2008
I bought this book a couple of years ago because my son was a late talker. He did interact with his environment and seemed intelligent enough and I thought he was okay, but once he started school they raised concerns with us. He has since been diagnosed with a social and communication disorder and is on the autistic spectrum (Asperger's). He seems to be very good at making models/pictures etc., but has some learning difficulties. I would say if you have any doubts get in touch with your health visitor, GP or local child development centre. Educate yourself about Asperger's. Einstein has since been "diagnosed" as having asperger's/high functioning autism by professionals/experts in this field. It is nothing to be afraid of, but don't bury your head in the sand or think that this necessarily is the answer to understanding your non-verbal child.
on 7 October 2009
Good book if you aren't entirely satisfied with the diagnosis given to your late developing child. I found it mostly a book of examples and patterns, but informative all the same.
on 8 April 2014
Interesting read, well written with an audience of parents in mind. More professionals should be aware of it. Worth reading
on 25 July 2012
I have a 3 year 4 month old whose speech is just about coming up. After reading this book, it all made sense as am a scientist, his dad is a computer engineer, he has 3 aunties/uncle that are accountants, my dad was a pilot, my twin studied Physics for his degree and 2 of his uncles are architects. A lot of the case studies are also very like my boy. So reassuring as well when going for assessments as am able to spot bad assessors as all they really care about is the label as they do not stimulate the child enough. I have a new appointment today and I know just what to look out for. Thank you so much
on 8 June 2016
Brilliant read and so helpful..