on 16 May 2013
A refreshing read in a market that hasn't been the same since mid 2007.

From the first few pages I was hooked. The quality of the writing and the questions that were arising had drawn me in already. What followed was a whirlwind ride of Excitement, Gunfire and Ethical debate which has the reader questioning themselves on what they would do in the situation. What would they want in they situations that Daniel, Elise and the other characters face?

The storyline was brilliantly clever but what makes this book is the characters that David has introduced us to. Particularly Daniel, Elise and in my mind... Spooky. All show a level of development some authors can only dream of. I will be following this series to see what further development is made and where the story takes them.

I take my hat off to David, A fellow member of 'The Writer's Cross' and I am very much looking forward to reading the rest of the series! I have already purchased the next two and urge other readers to join the journey!
on 18 August 2014
. The beginning was hard going, but once I got into it, the story took off and took me with it. I didn't like the ending, it felt too abrupt and not fully explained.

The writing felt a little clumsy in places, could benefit from a good editor, I think, but did not distract me too much. It read like a debut novel from an inexperienced writer, but the overall story was enjoyable.
I received this book free to read and review.
Although science fiction this is what I call realistic science fiction, no aliens, no strange science and gadgets but a single item that the whole story hinges on. Well at least until the epilogue. From the title, I never read the publishers blurb, I assumed this was another survive in the face of a plague type novel, I could not have been more wrong. The plague of the title actually cures people even those with mental problems and makes them not wish to cause others harm.
Against this background which also explored moral dilemmas there is good character development and plenty of action from the off.
Although quite a straight forward plot I found it a riveting read and wanted to know what happened next. The Epilogue gave me quite a surprise and I wonder how the author will deal with the next in the series. I basically don't like series but this first of the series also works well as a standalone with a tantalising glimpse of what is to come.
If you like action novels with a science fiction theme then this is a book to be recommended.
on 15 July 2014
Like other reviewers, I was almost put off by the first few pages. I found the initial pages laden with unnecessary similes and showing too many signs of an inexperienced writer (surprising, given the author's fairly long list of previous works). However, I persevered and I'm very glad I did. I think the initial pages attempted to put us in the mind of someone with a mental health issue which is surely very difficult to portray and while this doesn't excuse the over-use of simile, it does mean that the writing settles down quickly and becomes more readable.

The plot lies firmly in the "super-human" genre, though presents only a single trait and doesn't got to ridiculous extremes, preferring to focus on the peripheral consequences of such a situation, something it does very well and without becoming boring or "debate heavy".

Beyond here be slight spoilers - be warned!

My only two complaints would be towards the end of the book. Given that the trait is contagious - and apparently quite easily transferred between humans - the plans to spread the contagion seemed overly dramatic and obvious - inevitably drawing attention from the authorities. Knowing this was a risk, the protagonists could surely have come up with plans that allowed them to infect random people across the globe surreptitiously and then allow the contagion to spread naturally, as highly contagious infections do, without exposing themselves.

My second complaint was finding that the book was part of a series. It seems these days that no one is prepared to write single works but that everything must be part of some 10 book saga. In this case I felt this first book could have been a little longer and stood very well on its own without the epilogue and the endless extension into multiple volumes.

As usual, I really wanted to give 3.5 stars but given the choice between 3 or 4, it falls heavily towards 4, primarily because the author - rare in such books, I find - carefully considers the sociological and political implications of the plague rather than simply having the protagonists flying around and fighting crime in lycra. I haven't decided whether to buy the later volumes or not yet, as I feel they may spoil what was really a good stand-alone novel.
on 8 February 2015
First read planetary assault to discover this author (as im a big bv Larson fan) so was excited to go back in time to current day and start to see the changes that will lead to the steller conquest series.

Not as well written as his later stuff but you have to start somewhere and it's still an awesome book that any bv Larson fan should read
on 22 August 2015
There is a downside to the fact that this is a free kindle book.... you will be immediately addicted and compelled to purchase the rest! Having said that all the books in the series are reasonably priced and worth every penny. What I particularly like about this book is the initial idea, it isn't like a plague we've seen before. It's a page turner and the author has great character development and you will truly care what happens. If you're hesitating, press the buy button! You won't be disappointed.
on 25 October 2012
David's book is a fast-paced and gripping action story that is truly entitled to be called a "thriller". If you do put it down, you'll be glad to pick it up again - though sorry when it ends! Fortunately, a sequel is already on Amazon.

The nature of the Eden Plague is not as frightening as one might have expected. Or is it? You'll have to read the book to see what I mean. I urge you to do so.
on 11 July 2014
I wish the idea of secret units hidden by the US authorities did not seem so realistic as it makes me uncomfortable when I read things like this, I wonder how much is fiction and whether any of it is based in truth.

This was well-written and exciting
on 5 July 2015
Some very interesting questions raised by this book, but you can just read it as a high octane thriller and skip over the deeper aspects of the story. The epilogue should make the whole story make sense - but it didn't for me!
on 23 February 2015
Really involving story. I wasn't keen on Daniel to start but that, I guess, was the point. Looking forward to the next in the series. A fine mix, touches of A team/X files /Dark Angel.