TOP 50 REVIEWERon 13 May 2013
I would say this was a different kind of book for me but lately I've been branching out a little regarding what I read, one of the advantages of the kindle and free books, this said I still like a romantic vein to run through them even if it's not the whole purpose of the book. I wasn't sure what to expect from this book and it did take me a little while to get fully in sync with it but once I did I became totally absorbed and just couldn't put it down and I mean that literally I fell asleep while reading it. It's a very interesting book the main character Drayton is something of an enigma not knowing how old he is or what he is, is he the angel of death, a vampire, a demon. He takes the life essence from people as they are dying, he knows their thoughts, feelings and pasts, he rights the wrongs they've left behind, is he an angel or something else entirely. It's not until the last book that we really discover anything about Drayton, he doesn't remember being born, has he been around since time began, we get glimpses into his past, some of the things he's done, what he used to be and how he's evolved.
One thing I didn't like was the cover apart from not really appealing to me, yes I can see the irony in this since I read the book but I don't think it's represents the contents it's looks more like a demonic Shrek than how Drayton is described.
I really enjoyed this book and would advise you to give it a try it might surprise you and since it's free all you've got to lose is a little time.
on 21 July 2013
*This book was provided to me in exchange for an honest and unbiased review*

I really struggled to decide how to rate this book. I couldn't decide whether to go with how well written I found it and how much it affected me, or to rate according to how much I enjoyed it. If the latter then I'd have marked lower. I didn't enjoy it much at all. But I decided that was a personal thing and that truth be told if I was in a different place in my life I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

The stories are very well written and with each one I felt like I was a more enlightened person at the end. They are almost moral tales, exposing something desperate and sometimes depraved and putting it into context. Forgiveness, revenge, understanding, remorse, appreciating everyday life for what it is. The stories are each kind of satisfying in the way they are wrapped up, but it's not a warm and happy feeling. Instead they feel morbid. The exception would be the last novella in the collection, Numbers. With this one I was left with a smile on my face and peace in my heart.

Where I found the conclusions and the morals of the stories satisfying and even sometimes heart warming, I have to say I found the process quite distressing. They are far too dark and painful for me. The language too explicit and some scenes depicted were sickeningly unpleasant. But as I said, I recognise that what I enjoy right now is romance and fantasy and a HEA. Back many years ago when I read American Psycho I probably wouldn't have been so squeamish as I am now!

I don't usually read short stories or novellas but thought that as these were in a collection that there may be some character growth between the novellas. I was a little disappointed in this. I only in Numbers felt that I was beginning to see some emotion in Drayton. I guess I understand that being as old as he is would make him fairly controlled but from a readers perspective a character is lifeless and uninteresting without some heart or feeling. I missed this personally.

To summarise, I found this collection a well written thought provoking read but a little too distressing in content and language for my tastes.
on 2 January 2016
Interesting but would have liked more back story to the character. There's loads of potential to expand these short stories into a series of novels which would be great.
on 21 September 2014
Fantastic read, loved the compassion shown by Drayton, trying to give something back as well as take, enjoyed all four books immensely.
on 22 October 2015
This book was not what I was expecting but I enjoyed it thoroughly. I cannot recommend enough
on 20 September 2015
Dont usually read vamp books but this was a good read. Enjoyed it.
on 18 January 2016
could not get intoit, too much obcenity
on 24 October 2015
strange , different and very good
on 19 September 2015