on 24 March 2013
I'd never read anything by this author when I bought this book but I took a chance and I'm please I did. Good story and plot and Ireally liked the pace of the story. Douglas has a very good turn of phrase and even made me chuckle in places.
on 7 April 2015
Another entry into the crowded relic hunting/historical/mystery/adventure novel which seem to have become incredibly popular of late.

So what sets The Doomsday Testament apart?

Well, firstly the writing of Mr Douglas (AKA Douglas Jackson, author of the simply unmissable Gaius Valerius Verrens series). The pages fly by in no time, late nights are had and bus stops missed, to say Doug has a knack of drawing the reader in and writing a page turner doesn't really do him justice.

Secondly we come to the main protagonist, Jamie Saintclair - art recovery expert extraordinaire with a nifty talent in deadly hand to hand combat. An interesting protagonist and the art history aspect certainly gives this series a different and intriguing slant. The author also manages - thankfully - to avoid the Dan Brown trap of sounding like he's giving a patronising lesson to foreigners on a guided tour.

The plot is covered in most of the other reviews so I'll just say that it barrels along at breakneck pace and is full of Nazis and forgotten bunkers, Monks, helicopter gunships, Chinese assassins, mad industrialists and the secret services of more than one country. Its great and I loved it.

Overall, this is an immensely readable, rip roaring, boys own adventure with sympathetic and believable characters. I heartily recommend it.

And, quite frankly, Welwyn Garden City just doesn't get enough mentions in adventure novels so well done on that score Doug!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 August 2011
Review:
Doomsday Testament
The name really has the ring of a classic thriller, and it does not disappoint in that respect. If you go back through my other reviews you will find them interspersed with thrillers, I usually read them as a break between Historical fiction, a little light sorbet of a book, something that is fast and does not tax the brain.
This book is not a light sorbet; it is too packed with pace, action and great characters. The plot is complex and there is a great use of time slip to draw the reader deeper and deeper into the plot.

All of this could give the reader just your average thriller, and throw your usual "Best read since the Da Vinci code" type comparison, but it's not like that.

James Douglas (AKA Douglas Jackson) brings to bear his considerable depth of writing skill from his historical fiction to give his characters flesh and breath and life and make them people you feel and care about, he add that ability for intrigue that now defines his roman series to give the thriller its depth and to hide the plot twists that most thriller writers still telegraph so badly, and then finally because he is used to writing within the bounds of Historical fiction adds a level of reality to his thriller. Given that so many thrillers suffer from the super hero factor its fantastic to see a normal guy as the lead.

This is a fantastic read, I highly recommend it to all, and look forward to James Douglas making another foray into the thriller world.

(Parm)

Product Description
1937, Hitler sent an expedition to Tibet in search of the lost land of Thule.
1941, Heinrich Himmler spent a huge fortune, and sacrificed the lives of hundreds of concentration camp prisoners, to turn Wewelsburg Castle in Germany into a shrine to the SS.
Art recovery expert Jamie Saintclair thought he knew his grandfather, but when he stumbles upon the old man's lost diary he's astonished to find that the gentle Anglican clergyman was a decorated hero who had served in the Special Air Service in World War Two. And his grandfather has one more surprise for him. Sewn in to the endpaper of the journal is a strange piece of Nazi symbolism.
This simple discovery will launch him on a breathless chase across Europe and deep into Germany's dark past. There are some who will kill to find that which is lost, and although he doesn't know it, Saintclair holds the key to its hiding place.
on 5 December 2015
This is the first book i've read by James Douglas and i'm glad to say that I wasn't disappointed,as it is well scripted and full of historical facts which in turn leads to a really good novel overall.The story is mainly based in Germany and Tibet,but it flicks back and forth between the second world war and the present day and the discovery of a ancient artefact of great power that could be used for nefarious means by the nazis.
Main character development is also pretty decent too between Jamie Saintclair and Sarah Grant and the story moves along at a not to hurried pace-which I like-and thankfully no big 'shoot-em-up' ending either.
Check out James Douglas books for yourself.......I know I certainly intend to do so in the not to distant future.
on 15 April 2013
This is the best book I have read in a long while, I chose five stars because there are very few books that I can say I can't wait to read what happens next and this is one of those books. The only thing I would say is negative is the use of german words but then again this adds to the story so well. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read about the war with the germans.
on 23 August 2011
James Douglas is a new name in the world of mystery/thrillers,but he is not new to putting pen to paper and having us on the edge of our seats or in the thick of the action,as James Douglas is in fact that talented Historical novelist Douglas Jackson who has now turned his hand to the present day and produced a cracking first outing for our hero Jamie Saintclair. Jamie Saintclair thought he Knew his grandfather but when he stumbles upon his lost diary he's astonished to find that the gentle Anglicakn clergyman was a decorated hero who had served in the Special Air Service in the Second World War. To his surprise he finds sewn in to the endpaper of the journal is a strange piece of Nazi symbolism. It's not long before this simple discovery launch's him on a breathless chase across Europe and deep into Germany's dark past. There some who will kill to find that which is lost,and although he doesn't know it,Saintclair holds the key to it's hiding place. James Douglas brings to the page a passion for the story that is enhanced by top research that had me totally enmeshed in the mystery that twist and turns as Jamie and Sara add the final pieces to the puzzle that had me griped to the final chapter. While we wait for the next outing of James Douglas,check out Douglas Jackson you will not be disapppointed..
on 8 May 2014
A very good first novel. Drew me in straight away with its combination of historical background leading to hunting for artefacts. Throw in a power hungry descendant of a Nazi officer and some great action scenes and you have a book that I absolutely devoured in just three days.
on 22 January 2014
Having read the third book first I had to read the first one and was hooked after the first few pages. I'm now reading the third in the series and hope there's more to come. I would definitely recommend these book to friends.
on 18 September 2013
My first review of a James Douglas book and I can't really think of anything else to say other than suberb.
No spoilers from me, read it - you will not be disappointed.
on 16 January 2013
Fast paced and well written. Interesting plot and colourfull characters. The story is a little rushed in some chapters but overall an entertaining read.