on 16 May 2013
Bought for my daughter who is doing Psychology at A level and plans to study it at university, I got to it before she did (revision and all that). I had found it on a Psychology recommended reading list and bought it based on the blurb.

It is fascinating, frightening, chilling even, but absolutely bursting with food for thought. You follow the story of a young boy, virtually abandoned in a 'remedial' type boarding school in California. His arrival under false pretences, his rejection, then near acceptance of the regime. The author has the reader swinging in opinion as to whether the school is actually a nightmare or possibly doing some good. This is clever as it is exactly how these places function. We swing with the boy through a series of feelings until clarity eventually exposes things and returns you to the starting point.

An excellent, fascinating read, unputdownable.
on 2 October 2012
Schools like this would have never worked in my hometown when I was a lad. Absolutely fascinating and heartbreaking all at once. I've never read anything like it. The story is told from the perspective of a 14 year-old boy who is trapped at a boarding school in California that makes you reveal your darkest secrects, and your mates keep tabs on everything you do and say. I reccommend this book for young adults ((though the language is strong at times). Though, adults will find a lot of subtext. There is a lot to think about between the lines.