This latest edition of The Definitive Guide to Django is updated for Django 1.1, and, with the forwardcompatibility guarantee that Django now provides, should serve as the ultimate tutorial and reference for this popular framework for years to come.
Django, the Pythonbased equivalent to Rubys Rails web development framework, is one of the hottest topics in web development today. Lead developer Jacob KaplanMoss and Django creator Adrian Holovaty show you how they use this framework to create awardwinning web sites by guiding you through the creation of a web application reminiscent of www.chicagocrime.org.
Django: Web Development Done Right is broken into three parts, with the first introducing Django fundamentals such as installation and configuration, and creating the components that together power a Djangodriven web site. The second part delves into the more sophisticated features of Django, including outputting nonHTML content such as RSS feeds and PDFs, caching, and user management. The appendixes serve as a detailed reference to Djangos many configuration options and commands.
What youll learn
- The first half of this book explains in depth how to build web applications using Django including the basics of dynamic web pages, the Django templating system interacting with databases, and web forms.
- The second half of this book discusses higher-level concepts such as caching, security, and how to deploy Django.
- The appendixes form a reference for the commands and configurations available in Django.
Who this book is for
Anyone who wants to use the powerful Django framework to build dynamic web sites quickly and easily
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Django
- Getting Started
- Views and URLconfs
- The Django Admin Site
- Advanced Views and URLconfs
- Advanced Templates
- Advanced Models
- Generic Views
- Deploying Django
- Generating Non-HTML Content
- Sessions, Users, and Registration
- Integrating with Legacy Databases and Applications