VINE VOICEon 2 February 2003
Dealing with a child who seems to be constantly pushing the barriers is an exhausting way to live, and Dr Riley's book has been of immense use in trying to calm the entire family situation down. Using accessible language and calm, measured tones, Dr Riley takes the frustrated parent step by step through processes designed to not only initially quieten a situation, but deal with the issues in the long run.
Don't be put off buying the book if you feel that your child is not an ODD kid; many of the measures are firm and reasonable enough to deal with kids who are excessive in their behaviour, without maybe being oppositional. The layout of the book is such that a parent can choose the methods that seem most suited to the child and the behaviour.
We were most impressed with the book's no-nonsense approach to child rearing. Too many books seem to take a wishy-washy approach to children who drive the parents mad, somehow attaching the blame to the parents. Dr Riley asks you to look at the family situation, but also points out that many children are just oppositional, it's a part of their nature, and blame is not to be attached. Instead, he offers practical ideas on how to deal with the situation you are in.
I would recommend this book not just to parents, but to teachers of defiant children as well.
0Comment|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 November 2009
My husband and I have found this book really helpful in attempting to understand and deal with the defiant behaviour of our eight year old son. Although I'd say it's aimed more at teenage behaviour, it's an easy and informative read.
on 22 May 1998
Dr. Riley's book provides a good overview of the and range of behaviors exhibited by the ODD teenager. There is not much written on this disorder and even less about teenagers with ODD. I now have a better understanding about why my son behaves the way he does and some ideas as to what I can do to change his behavior before it is too late.
on 21 November 1997
Dr. Riley's insights and suggestions offered me hope and help when nothing seemed to be working in dealing with a teen who clearly needed limits. Along the wonderful help of our family counselor, this book has made a real difference in helping us to regain control of our own home. Highly recommended to anyone whose child is constantly pushing limits.
on 3 September 2013
I am the parent of a 14 year old son with Asperger's syndrome and oppositional defiance disorder. I was feeling utterly beaten and completely out of ideas of how to manage my son, and bought this book out of sheer desperation.
It is crammed full of real life stories and advice on strategies to help understand the oppositional child, and deal with their behaviour in a positive and powerful manner. The author is clearly very experienced in his field and has step-by-step guidance on techniques he has used successfully on a number of children which can be put in place by any parent sufficiently motivated to try them.
When you don't know where else to turn, and are considering putting your child up for adoption, read this book instead!!!
on 23 May 1998
This is an excellent book of strategies to help ODD children learn acceptable behavior. The book is well written without professional jargon. The author explains successful methods of behavior modification by example of his clients. Suggested for use in addition to professional council.
I regret I didn't know about this book a year ago.
on 10 July 2009
I was skeptical when I ordered this book and didn't believe it would really be much help. How wrong was I.....
This book has given me yet more insight into how to deal with this behavior, as well as an understanding of the child's thought process's. This book is great for any child that is defiant!
I would say this book is a must read for all parents, even if your own children are well behaved........
on 19 April 2011
This book appears to talk about the parents' authority and the need to establish yourself as the higher power. I believe the techniques merely serve to exacerbate the problem rather than offer a solution. The language is very aggressive and dogmatic.
on 27 February 2015
This book begins with explaining 10 rules to guide parents and other stakeholders through the way in which children and teenagers with Oppositional Defiant Disorder think and act. Each rule is accompanied by a short anecdotal case study which illustrates the author's point clearly. The book then continues with real strategies for parents to employ at home, and follows them up with ways to overcome the child's attempts to defy these. An interesting chapter was later on in the book where the author discusses ODD in relation to other mental health disorders, and how to treat these specific cases.

On the whole, I found this book very reader-friendly, not too taxing, and very informative. I would highly recommend this to all parents and teachers who are working with, or about to work with children with ODD.
on 26 November 2012
I've just finished this book and still digesting what I've read but I have to say wow! Clearly and concisely written with no jargon it is a must for anyone who has, or cares for, a child with oppositional defiant disorder.

It offers detailed explanations of the condition and ways of dealing with the challenging behaviour associated with O.D.D., often with humour and illustrated with real life examples from the author's own experiences as a child therapist.

As the parent of a child with diagnosed O.D.D. and A.D.H.D. I can highly recommend this book.