Format: Audio Cassette|Change

on 12 April 2008
In true Frederick Forsyth style, The Deceiver has succeeded once again in not only entertaining but also educating the reader. I bought this book after reading that after this novel was published, the British government was forced to admit that they have used some of the techniques used in the book.

This book (along with The Fist of God) takes one about as close as possible to the world of espionage and how spying really works. Before you read this, forget 007 running around with a machine gun gunning down all the bad guys. Approach with an open mind and the reader will be immersed in the world of lies and deceit, all for Queen and country. The Price of the Bride was particularly good. Highly recommended!
on 14 January 2014
I didn't buy this book from Amazon. I bought it in a book store, (in France believe it or not), many moons ago but every body knows that Amazon is good so there is no need to review Amazon....

As I said it has been many years since I read this novel, but I recently moved house and in one of the boxes I stumbled across this book. Being a bit bored I decided to read it again and I'm so pleased that I did. The writer is a pro - it make such a difference compared to stuff by Mary Higgins Clark for example. Forsyth keeps you guessing right to the end and he has a way of writing that really makes it hard to put a book down. This book is clever, and I suppose, in someways a bargin as you have four stories for the price of one. Sam McCready is about to be made redundant and his faithful sidekick, Denis makes every effort to save his position by recalling McCreadys' past adventures to his superiors in the hope that they'll change their minds. It takes you back to the Cold War and cleverly sets the plot for future novels after the downfall of the Iron Curtain.

Not the usual Frederick Forsyth but very, very good all the same and the fact that it's broken down into segments makes it very easy to read. I've read it twice now and would easily read it again.
on 5 June 2008
Another of my Forsyth favourites. Great book shows the ever changing world of intelligence and the ever increasing influence of politics really well.
on 2 October 2006
The over-arching story is of a redundancy appeal hearing of an old-school spymaster at the end of the 90s - as Glasnost promises a new era in post-Cold War Intelligence Operations. The appeal is presented in the form of 4 short stories of Sam McReady's involvement during the cold war.

Each short story is excellent, and after a while I couldn't put it down.
on 12 June 2012
The Deceiver could be regarded as three short stories with one central character (Sam McReady). They are interwoven using a review of cases in his career as a unifying plot.

As with all Frederick Forsyth books it extremely well written (although the depth is rather less than some of his other works). Each constituent case is neatly and intricately woven, with those parts being linked by 'asides' referring back to the review. The ending is rather an anticlimax after the build-up of the cases, but it is, nevertheless a very good read and a most absorbing book.
on 11 October 2014
I bought this for a holiday turn off read read. I was not deceived, it was a very good example of its genre, particular if you are late middle aged like me and can remember the period it referred to. . Three stories linked together by a plot about a government economy cull. They are offered in defines of the operative culled. I think the author did not have enough to separate books, but this is real value for money.
on 21 October 2015
great story , it fits in with the fact that its in my life time frame and the characters are mainly british with some of our friends across the water also involved. Its the ongoing game of survival against foes who would love to have us weak and powerless . Its only a story but these things are going on all the time . So a good read by a great author and a patriot buy and read.
on 18 June 2013
This book tends to be a crossover of 4 short stories with a common thread......Sam Mcready. All in all it's an enjoyable book,but by the time I got to the fourth part,I was getting confused with who's who ! However having said that, it's still a good enjoyable read and one that I will reread at a later stage........worth the money!
on 6 November 2014
It has been a while since I tried a Freddie and the end of the cold war era tempted me. It is a terrific action story with four stories for the price of one involving a central character showcasing his espionage skills. There are more moles than in Jasper Carrot's back garden but who's side are they on? A great read.
on 24 April 2016
Brilliant (- in error I entered initial comments under Devil's Alternative review)- but Forsyth is compelling reading in most of his books)

You find that you are on the edge of your seat hoping the good guys win! Clever storeyline