From the Back Cover
The most authoritative and comprehensive guide to dimensionalmodeling, from its originators fully updated
Ralph Kimball introduced the industry to the techniques ofdimensional modeling in the first edition of The Data WarehouseToolkit (1996). Since then, dimensional modeling has become themost widely accepted approach for presenting information in datawarehouse and business intelligence (DW/BI) systems. The DataWarehouse Toolkit is recognized as the definitive source fordimensional modeling techniques, patterns, and best practices.
This third edition of the classic reference delivers the mostcomprehensive library of dimensional modeling techniques everassembled. Fully updated with fresh insights and best practices,this book provides clear guidelines for designing dimensionalmodels and does so in a style that serves the needs of thosenew to data warehousing as well as experienced professionals.
All the techniques in the book are illustrated with real–worldcase studies based on the authors′ actual DW/BI design experiences.In addition, the Kimball Group′s "official" list of dimensionalmodeling techniques is summarized in a single chapter for easyreference, with pointers from each technique to the case studieswhere the concepts are brought to life.
The third edition of The Data Warehouse Toolkitcovers:
- Practical design techniques both basic andadvanced for dimension and fact tables
- 14 case studies, including retail sales, electronic commerce,customer relationship management, procurement, inventory, ordermanagement, accounting, human resources, financial services,healthcare, insurance, education, telecommunications, andtransportation
- Sample data warehouse bus matrices for 12 case studies
- Dimensional modeling pitfalls and mistakes to avoid
- Enhanced slowly changing dimension techniques type 0 through7
- Bridge tables for ragged variable depth hierarchies andmultivalued attributes
- Best practices for Big Data analytics
- Guidelines for collaborative, interactive design sessions withbusiness stakeholders
- An overview of the Kimball DW/BI project lifecyclemethodology
- Comprehensive review of extract, transformation, and load (ETL)systems and design considerations
- The 34 ETL subsystems and techniques to populate dimension andfact tables
About the Author
RALPH KIMBALL, PhD, has been a leading visionary in thedata warehouse and business intelligence industry since 1982.The Data Warehouse Toolkit book series have been bestsellerssince 1996.
MARGY ROSS is President of the Kimball Group and thecoauthor of five Toolkit books with Ralph Kimball. She hasfocused exclusively on data warehousing and business intelligencefor more than 30 years.