Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 3 March 2007
The Cracked Throne is an ambitious continuation of The Skewed Throne. I am happy to say that it improves. Following the events of the last book, Varis is now in a position of greater power.

I liked that Palmatier shows Varis and her faults and her working through some of them. For instance, he takes time to acknowledge the fact that she can't read. He addresses that. It makes Varis more rounded. We see her heroics but we also see the mundane.

Palmatier did a very good job of creating a history for the Skewed Throne. Very interesting indeed. His enemy, the Chorl, isn't simply a threat to be feared. I found myself sympathetic to them because they aren't just faceless and simply a malevolent force. They also happend to have a reason for what they are doing. I think this added element makes them a better enemy. Makes them a better challenge.

I cannot wait for the third book.