on 31 July 2013
I bought James Innes' book: Guide to writing the perfect cover letter (Paperback) I've found it a great help.....Already got an interview with it. Highly recommended to all job-hunters....
on 23 October 2012
Writing a covering letter to go with your CV is sometimes harder than writing the CV itself, the tips in this book really inspired me. Although you obviously cannot copy them word for word they make you think about your own position and how to market yourself. thanks!
on 23 October 2012
I bought James Innes' other title, 'The CV Book' a while back and have recently reviewed that. Right now I'm taking the time to write reviews for all of his books that I have bought and read because (as you can see) I'm a fan.

As I said in my last review, I have a strong work history but had zero knowledge of what employers wanted to see when I wrote to them. I used to have a two-page cover letter with all sorts of information that I now realise should have been on my CV. Reading this book was an eye-opener and, coupled with my new CV that I wrote while reading The CV Book, I have, what I feel is, a strong, concise marketing tool to promote myself to employers.

If you want to be taken seriously in the workplace, you have to give your job applications your best shot. This book, along with the other ones I bought by James Innes, has given me the confidence to go for the jobs I really want.

Good advice is priceless.
on 2 December 2012
Having now read all of James Innes career guide books, I am seriously impressed by just how relevant and up-to-date they are. I wasn't expecting Innes to still be interested in the written letters and communication of the job application plan in this day and age where everything seems to be done on-line or on a text. I am however, completely convinced by the need for really well-written letters to set us up before the interview and how they enhance the qualities we so much want the organisations we apply to to appreciate. Of course, Innes also deals with online applications and social media, but emphasises that whatever we wrote we must write it well. Very insightful and impeccably laid out as expected with a 100% practical approach providing loads of examples and cases studies. Great.
on 27 November 2012
I would never have thought anyone could write a whole book on this subject but I was wrong. Billed as the definitive guide to the perfect cover letter I can only say it does just that. With pages of examples of covering letters meeting a variety of different needs anyone would be hard pushed not to improve their own cover letter and thereby increase their chance of being offered an interview. A good CV needs a professional cover letter to create a positive first impression so this book is well worth buying for any serious job hunter alongside my other recommendation The CV Book: Your Definitive Guide to Writing the Perfect CV
on 27 October 2012
I bought this book along with the CV writing book as I have never even attempted to write a cover letter along with my CV - its always been a two line email or the bulk standard 'please find application for advertised position' letter.

This book had some great examples on how you can add value to your application by creating a great cover letter. Almost enticing the recruiter to read your CV in the first place if you like. I understand that there are sooooo many applicants for each job vacancy nowadays that I decided I needed all the help I could get. It really fits the bill thank you five stars from me!
on 26 November 2012
I bought several of James Innes' books in one go as they had such good reviews - and I'm glad I did! I read this in conjunction with The CV Book and found them both to be so useful. This gives lots of examples of cover letters for many different scenarios, such as applying for specific job roles and also applying on a speculative basis. I have written to lots of places for employment before and can now see how my letters can be dramatically improved. A must for anyone looking for any kind of employment, whether it be full time, part time or freelance!
on 25 November 2012
So you've read The CV Book (by the same author) and you've put together a fantastic CV - now you just need to get your CV into the right hands and concisely and effectively prove your worth and get bag yourself an interview? This book will help you! James gives clear and helpful advice on how to write your cover letter, support your CV and sell your skills and experience. This book is invaluable when writing various types of letter and is well worth reading alongside the other excellent books in this series.
on 2 December 2012
This book makes me realise that there's a lot more to writing a good cover letter than I first thought. I've always found writing cover letters for jobs difficult in the past, but this book has really helped set me on the right path. It covers everything you can think of; language, length, keeping the reader's interest and how to show you have done your research on the company. Going beyond just the application stage, this book also looks at how you can negotiate salary increases by letter - very useful!
on 1 February 2015
Not had chance to read all of this book as I needed some quick tips to get a covering letter dafted and sent off the same day. I skipped through pages and found useful suggestions that were a lot better than what I had been writing. So with my letter completed I emailed it off together with my cv and the same day I got a phone call asking me to go in for an interview. I thought I knew how to write a covering letter but there's always room for improvement, so this book is worth spending on.