Format: DVD|Change

on 13 April 2006
i have to say that this is a must have for all families around. It is a realistic yet humourous comedy. Family drama the way it is in most of our homes and i guarantee that you can relate to most of the episodes. I cannot wait for season 3 to 8 to be delivered. I am a proud owner of both season one and two and i do not regret it at all. Cosby show is a show you can never get tired of. Amazing. Truly amazing.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 June 2014
This series is about the Huxtables, an upper middle-class African-American family. They live in Brooklyn in New York. Cliff Huxtable is an obstetrician and his wife, Claire, is an attorney. They have four daughters and one son, called Sondra, Denise, Theodore, Vanessa and Rudy. It is very funny, even now, more than 20 years later. It also deals with quite serious topics and is pretty insightful about them. It showed from 1984 to 1992 and was regarded as the most successful TV show of the 1980s. I have read that it was based on Bill Cosby's stand-up comedy act, which in turn, was based on his own family life.
I loved this series when it was first shown in the UK. I am embarrassed and ashamed to admit that it was the first time that I had ever thought about family life in another racial group than my own and (at the time) I found this series revelatory. Leaving that issue aside (and racial issues were seldom mentioned in it), this was a brilliant series. The Americans do slightly schmaltzy family series extremely well, for a start. Secondly, the towering talent of Bill Cosby lifted this series way above the average. He has such marvellous presence that he could have made almost any old rubbish seem marvellous - and this wasn't any old rubbish. Every character in the series was beautifully played and the episodes were just as beautifully written. In fact, it won a whole series of awards. Because Cosby's father in the series was supposed to be a jazz trombonist, many wonderful musicians featured in the programme, including BB King, Sammy Davis JR and Stevie Wonder. I think this is a wonderful series that stands the test of time.
on 25 September 2008
The Cosby show is a very good American family comedy. It was made in the early 1980's and feautured the great comedian and actor Bill Cosby. The show follows the everyday trials and tribulations of DR Cliff Huxtable (played by Cosby) and his family. Which include his wife Claire whose a lawyer and his five kids, Sondra, Denise, Theo, Vanessa and little Rudy. The kids cover all age groups and the show tackles many different issues the kids go through like dating, death of a pet, playing sports for school and many others. Even though it tackles some tricky subjects the show is always funny and shows how funny kids can be. Bill Cosby is also fantastic as Cliff and the way he works and talks to the kids is hillarious. The show was a huge success in America and was groundbreaking for the time as it was the first programme on tv to show a professional black middle class family. It showed people and the tv industry that black people didn't need to be shown as poor and working class to make a good programme. The show wasn't as big in Britain but those who did see it loved it. The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is I know that the series gets even better during the next 7 seasons and hopefully they will bring the rest out on region 2 quickly. The first season contains 24 episodes and each episode is around 25 minutes, there are no extras which is a shame but the set still represents good value for money. The Cosby Show is a fine piece of 80s American comedy and deserves to be watched by everyone.
on 30 July 2010
I agree with most reviews that The Cosby Show is great, I really enjoy seeing these episodes again, but I just cannot apreciate the unavailability of subtitles, so as a finished product, Playback/Universal Pictures UK have done a poor job. Therefore I have rated this item with only 1 star.
on 4 October 2015
Gentle side-splittingly funny family comedy - where the height of technology was ermmm, a landline telephone! These disks are in English - with the original actors voices. Has been exceedingly difficult to tell with some of the series, whether the Dutch imports feature the actual voices of the American cast or not. No problems here - exactly as the original series all those moons ago - plays fine on a R2 DVD player. Yay!
on 21 February 2009
I grew up spending a fair amount of time in the States and whenever I am over there one of the things on my to do list is watch the Cosby Show! I'm quite disappointed its not shown on british tv, and have been looking for the Cosby Show on DVD Region 2 for a long time! FInally I found it and they are just as funny as i remember them! It really is a brilliantly funny program to watch!
on 18 April 2013
I used to watch this as a kid in the 80's....and always loved it. Watching it now as an adult makes me cry, because it's just so warm and funny !! Bill Cosby was brilliant as Cliff Huxtable....the way he spoke to his children was hilarious. They don't make em like this anymore...that's for sure. *also ...the funniest episode ever is on this DVD....Theo's Shirt :)
on 18 March 2014
I bought this because I remembered enjoying watching it on TV a long time ago, and it doesn't disappoint. I have watched this series with my two children, aged 8 and 7, and they absolutely love it. It is very funny, with lots of laugh-out-loud moments, and the humour stops it from becoming too schmaltzy. I would thoroughly recommend it.
on 12 September 2009
Just as i remember the Cosby Show was one of the finest, funniest shows on TV although i didnt watch from the start i remember watching for age 8 and i think we were near season 5. But this is a great DVD set to buy, its my mission get every one of the DVDS now. Thank god for the Cosbys!! classic!
on 1 May 2011
I remember watching this series when I was younger and really enjoying it. I found out that I could buy it online and I could'nt resist seeing the series again. It was as if time had stood still. I still find the series to be thought full and funny. A great purchase with no regrets. Recommended.