Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£9.99|
Save £6.00 (60%)
Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
This price was set by the publisher
The Consolation of Philosophy (Penguin Classics) Kindle Edition
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
More About the Author
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Firstly I will admit that he's not an easy read, nor is he fun, nor will you find any ancient gossip. He is also not trivial, patronising or simplistic. His experiences have shown him that there are no easy answers and he cherishes this insight and so should we. In a world of infuriating and belittling pseudo-scientific counselling and avoidance of issues he offers a calm, measured and eventually comforting reliance on the internal qualities and intellectual possibilities of an individual. The Penguin is a clear translation - for beauty, bother to find Chaucer's, and also wonder why Alfred the Great (the intellectual King) bothered to translate it when he was already forty (and a member of a short-lived family) when he learned Latin and ruled a Wessex beset with enemies and in the midst of social and political change.
I found it quite entrancing and was prepared to follow its arguments through and it must, like all philsophy, be read slowly and thoughtfully. I would recommend reading it, and hence five stars. Its not necessarily the greatest book you will read, but it is calm, measured and more or less the musings of a man on the edge of existence. The poetry is excellent.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The book in itself is great, but the formatting for Kindle is terrible with spelling and formatting mistakes. Read morePublished 19 months ago by rpac
Boethius's "The Consolation of Philosophy" is a rare and unusual philosophical work in that it continues to be read by many people who are not philosophers or students of... Read morePublished on 9 April 2010 by Robin Friedman
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Religious History > Other Religions
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > History & Criticism > Literary Theory & Movements
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Philosophy > History
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Literary Criticism & Theory
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Movements & Periods > Medieval
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Movements & Periods > Renaissance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy > History & Surveys
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Philosophy > Medieval Thought