on 22 December 2005
This book is an absolute must for the tarot reader who has a basic tarot book on card definitions, but wants to expand their reading. It is choc full of exercises, fantastic chapters on numerology, the suits, elemental dignatories, reversals, how to overcome readers block.......the things that 99% of the other tarot books out there barely touch on!
The methods she gives for dealing with court cards are brilliant, and her approach is fresh and new. Thumbs up!
on 3 June 2010
As it can be, in limited range, a good book for a beginner, I would not advice somebody more advanced to buy it - you will not find much more info than you already know.

The approach is different than the classical one (no short history followed by card meanings, one by one), but it structured in small lessons for various subjects regarding readings. It has lots of clues to have a fresh start when wanting to learn tarot. On the other hand, it stresses too much on the side of "what you feel when you see the image", and less on the structure behind any tarot deck. As it is so general presented, it can be used in getting tips to learn with deck.

There is no such thing as a book totally useless, but this one had indeed too less to give me. Personally I would love to get to read this kind of review before I purchased it, I definitely wouldn`t do it again.
on 18 February 2012
I admit I didn't find this book great for me, and I don't think it's 'everything you need to know from start to finish'. There are a lot of exercises and study goals, but I find that kind of thing a little annoying. I think a lot of the exercises contained within the book could have been better presented as illustrated examples. Then when it comes to more indepth information, I felt it was lacking.

That said, there is useful stuff in here about reading reversals, formulating a question and so on... and quite often the author advocates a different and more intuitive approach than is often found, so that's a positive. But generally, although the author implicitly advocates developing an intuitive approach, the actual presentation is quite dry and uninspiring, and doesn't feel at all intuitive with its exercises and study goals.

I like to read for myself and while there is a section on that, it's quite limited. If you are a beginner and prepared to work through this book as a series of exercises with no feedback or discussion (which I think you need when given so many exercises), then you might find it useful. I actually find the layout and her choice of examples, exercises and topics quite confusing - not because they're conceptually difficult, but I just find it lacking in overall coherence. It feels 'bitty' and disorganized.

Having said all that, there *is* some useful stuff in here. Just for me, not enough. I actually found The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot much better than this, and caters to about the same level. (I do not especially recommend the Idiot's Guide, although I have found it quite useful and user-friendly over the years. It is still better than Michelsen's book though.)
on 5 June 2016