- Paperback: 560 pages
- Publisher: Faber & Faber; Main edition (7 July 2005)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0571228127
- ISBN-13: 978-0571228126
- Product Dimensions: 15.3 x 4 x 23.3 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.8 out of 5 stars See all reviews (6 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 150,849 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
The Classical Style: Haydn, Beethoven, Mozart Paperback – 7 Jul 2005
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
More About the Author
"'Brilliant and epoch-making.' Times Literary Supplement 'The word "masterpiece" should be used rarely if at all. But it applies to Charles Rosen's The Classical Style... This book sets new standards for the application of language to music' George Steiner"
The Classical Style is Charles Rosen's 'epoch-making' work on Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven, and the definitive and essential survey of classical music.See all Product Description
Inside This Book(Learn More)
Browse and search another edition of this book.
When Beethoven left Bonn in 1792, he had with him an album in which his patron, Count Waldstein, had written: 'You are going to Vienna in fulfillment of your long frustrated wishes . . . You will receive the spirit of Mozart from the hands of Haydn.' Read the first page
Front Cover | Copyright | Table of Contents | Excerpt | Index | Back Cover
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Rosen's own personality, immensely knowledgable, enthusiastic and intellectually rigorous make one long to feed him a first class dinner in return for the pleasure of his company over the years.
There is a warning: Rosen's books require some ability to be able to read music, and a general familiarity with the music. But 'The Classical Style' and 'Sonata Forms', despite their slightly academic titles, are some of the most companionable books known to me.
Of course, many of Charles Rosen points of view have been discussed over the years. Sometimes the critics may have some reason. But in general, Rosen's insights are deeper and subtler than anything else you may find in the music literature.
I would recommend this book to anyone interested in music.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This is a book I stupidly gave away some time back
Now re-reading Charles Rosen with added pleasure
Excellent Book for my Library
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Film, Television & Music > Music > Classical Music
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Composers & Musicians > Classical Music
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Scores, Songbooks & Lyrics > Classical Music
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Styles > Classical Music > Biographies
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Styles > Classical Music > Scores, Songbooks & Lyrics