Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 17 February 2015
Joe Choynski was the first significant Jewish boxer, and belongs to the group of 'nearly men' who might have been a world champion given the chance. He shared the ring with John L Sullivan, Jim Corbett, Bob Fitzsimmons, James Jeffries, Marvin Hart and Jack Johnson. His surprise 3rd round KO of Johnson was one of Choynski's career highlights, and led to him tutoring the future champion during a spell they spent in jail together after their bout, teaching Jack some of his tricks. This book tells everything there is to know about Choynski's life and times, and lengthy boxing career. You also learn much about his contemporaries such as Sullivan, Corbett, Peter Jackson, Peter Maher, Kid McCoy, Johnson, Jeffries, etc, and the book is essential reading for anyone interested in heavyweight boxing in America in the pre-Jack Dempsey era. It is very well researched, with many illustrations, and although expensive to buy, at a whopping 799 pages and in hardback, is worth the money. Recommended.
on 17 March 2014
This is a large, well presented and detailed book covering all aspects of Choynski’s life and career. Other greats of the period like Corbett, Jackson, Fitz, Jeffries and Johnson are all intertwined with Choynski and get plenty of coverage. A very well written book with lots of pictures that I hadn’t seen before .... the author really did some serious research. A bit pricey but you get 745 pages for your money, with a further 50 pages listing sources, index etc. One of the best Boxing biographies I have ever read and I can’t recommend this book highly enough.
on 12 February 2015
The amazing story of a jewish boxer.
on 9 July 2014
Truly an outstanding book that my father purchased for me as a present.

Looking at the size of the book I was at first apprehensive it's huge.

Once I started reading those fears disapated, the books detail of Choynskis life is outstanding as is that of his opponents. The book comes with illustrations I've never seen before and are absolutely incredible.

The cover price for this book is high but it's in Hardback with high quality paper illustrations and as stated at the beginning of this review huge around 800 pages long.

I would highly recommend this book it stands proudly on my bookshelf.
on 29 August 2014