Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 November 2014
This is one of the best books I have read for a long time.
The storyline is brilliant and the ending is not expected. I would recommend this to anyone who is not afraid to cry and who is looking for something out of the usual.
on 22 March 2014
Brilliantly gripping book from start to finish. This book really gets you thinking "What would I do in that situation?" Susan Lewis is an extremely good writer and I am looking forward to reading more of her books, I already have 2 in mind. Would recommend her books to everyone.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 January 2010
I have been reading Susan Lewis books since she started writing and have always been a huge fan. Don't get me wrong, not always perfect, but her books never fail to leave me with an immense feeling of satisfaction. Therefore, I find myself almost waiting for a book to not live up to my expectations, which unfortunately happens to some authors who have been writing for a while. What I wasn't prepared for was a book as fantastic as this one.

Nikki Grant is a young girl who is at odds with her parents. She is only young and has huge dreams and ambition to become a screenwriter. Her boyfriend Spence lives in a shared house with her along with some other friends and between them they all have talents that lie in the acting, producing and directing field. Nikki's parents have made it clear that they do not like her lifestyle or her choice of friends and boyfriend. Spence is the love of Nikki's life and she decides that no matter what her parents say she is determined to live her life the way she wants to. If that means her relationship with her parents disappears then so be it. When Nikki discovers she is pregnant she decides to give it one more shot to make things work with her parents. Unfortunately it fails and she decides that she will make the most of her life with Spence and the baby on her own.

In the house that Nikki and Spence share is Danny, David and Kristen. All three of them have contributed to a short film along with Nikki and Spence and the work has caught the eye of Drake, a very famous and successful man in the film industry. When he offers Spence the chance to start a new project for a small fortune he takes the opportunity to start providing for his girlfriend and baby. Although Nikki is tied due to her pregnancy she supports his decision and together all five of them in the house start to make progress. When Nikki goes into labour, she delivers the perfect little baby boy that they call Zac. Although Spence, David, Danny and Kristen are working and having to split their time between their current home and London, Nikki has never been happier. With Zac in her life and the help of David's Mum she feels completely fulfilled. When tragedy strikes everybody's life turns on its head. Nikki finds herself in the middle of a mother's worst nightmare and that is only the beginning.

This book was truly wonderful. Written with such emotion and reality, it brought tears to my eyes. I don't like spoilers in book reviews which is why I won't elaborate on the tragedy that Nikki and Spence endure. I will say however that this is by far the best book I have read in a long time in this genre. Susan Lewis' books can normally be found under Chick Lit however her writing is so much more than that. There are not always fairytale endings but the story is told with feeling and is written beautifully. I cannot praise this book enough and am shocked and surprised that Susan Lewis has surpassed my expectations and written the best book of her career. If you haven't read her books before then my advice would be to start now. A truly wonderful book.
on 2 August 2014
I've read many of Susan Lewis' books but this was one of her best. Even though the battery on my Kindle ran out, I had to finish reading it on my iPad till I'd finished it in the early hours of the morning.
on 10 August 2014
I thought this book was great! I couldn't put it down. It kept me engaged from the moment I picked it up. I found it really made me think, was very sad at times but the characters have great warmth and I felt I really got to know them. I have just purchased Lost Innocence and am really looking forward to reading it
on 1 December 2010
I am surprised by some of the negative reviews of this book - if I had read the reviews first I wouldn't have bothered reading the book. This is a sad story in many ways but not miserable and is also quite uplifting in places. The relationships between all of the characters are portrayed very well and the reactions of a family that is used to wealth and is now dealing without the comfort of money, is handled very well. Friendships are put to the test in this storyline and the challenges faced by all are dealt with very well. This is a book well worth reading.
on 23 November 2014
Have read other books by this author and this one was by far the worst. It is rambling, takes ages to get to the point so much so that I lost interest. A very poor , unsatisfactory and unbelievable ending. A very disappointing read.
on 17 October 2011
This book was incredible. It was compelling throughout, but I actually couldn't put it down during the last 200 pages. The pace is very good (though the book is 500+ pages long, I never once got bored), the descriptions and several characters too. Though I usually enjoy first person narrative, I thought the writing style was great. So much happens in this book and it tackles an incredible number of issues - a blurb could not cover it. This book really makes you think and the diversity of characters opinions towards the main 'crime' and each other allow us to realistically consider different views after having grown a good relationship with the characters involved, particularly Nikki. The plot was full of twists and unexpected events, with the last 200 pages really shocking me and uncovering lots of new details about the characters. The Choice is extremely moving too and it's hard not to tear up or sympathize at many points throughout - you really do feel as though you're making a journey with the protagonist. Though this book was packed, it was not hard to follow at all and made for great reading. Lewis also managed to neatly conclude almost everything towards the end. A very impressive and compelling book.
on 10 November 2014
Interesting plot but feel it was not written well. Finished it in spite of the poor story line, but could have been a fantastic story if the author had not spent so much time getting to the point and then completely skipping over the main character's reasoning about 'the choice' she made.
on 12 January 2015
One of the most humane and emotive books I have read- beautifully written, as ever, by Susan Lewis - had me in tears much of the time - every woman will love this and many men too - simple but amazing story - thank you Susan