Format: Hardcover|Change

on 29 October 2009
An excellent book, very suitable for children, but be careful to order the right version - two versions are on sale, one is large and easy for a child to read, or for reading from at Sunday school, the other version is tiny, and would be unlikely to engage a child, and an adult may prefer a different style if they wanted a compact Bible for personal use. I might have known about this had I read previous reviews, or taken care to look at the product dimensions in the small print - but I had seen the vicar's copy and thought I didn't need to research further. So I went for the latest version, and this miniature book arrived a few days later. No good for Sunday school work, but a happy ending, Amazon, bless them, exchanged the book and my lack of care cost me only the return postage. As the product details are so visually similar, perhaps Amazon could add something more prominent to make the prospective buyer aware of the different sizes on offer.
on 5 February 2008
Having looked through many books of this kind in our local bookshops, this was far and away the best: accessible language without sliding into inanity, as many 'simplified' versions tend to; carefully chosen 'clips' from the King James version; excellent historical context and simply wonderful illustrations. My three-year-old took to it instantly. Also serves as an excellent primer for adults who can't quite remember which story comes in what order. However, if you do buy it, make sure you go for the full-size version, in spite of its bulk and weight. The 'pocket' version is simply the full-size version shrunk down to an unreadable text size, as another reviewer has observed. This doesn't work at all, and D&K should know better. But that takes nothing away from the larger version - a lovely book and heartily recommended.
on 19 December 2007
First impressions are that this book has been shrunk in attempt to make it into a pocket bible. Just because it's meant for children doesn't mean it needs to be small! Then when you open it, the font must be about font size 6 and the picture sizes proportionate to the text.

How on earth a child is meant to maintain interest in this for very long is beyond me. It would be more apt for an adult or adolescent. I'll just have to hang onto it for 10 years until it's appropriate. A major disappointment...
on 27 July 2010
This is a beautiful Bible! The pictures are clear and information is well presented and interesting. I loved it! The problem was that I bought it for a child, because that is what I needed! However, when it arrived the print was so small I could barely read it myself. For the content and target age group, the print could have been slightly larger. What a shame! I had to order another one for the child in question, and was not able to return this one because it was so heavy the postage (from abroad) was more than the Bible itself cost!
on 13 February 2009
This was a Christmas purchase for an 8 year old boy with a significant interest in such matters. The format, size and content were excellent and fully met my expectations and of course his.
on 16 March 2010
After looking at this bible in a book shop I chose this bible as it had a good introduction, seemed well laid out and had good explainations. However, the version I bought through Amazon was much smaller is size. The layout appears identical but because it is about half the size the text is very tiny. I had bought it as a gift for my children, but it is unsuitable for a young child as the text is too small to read. As an adult you'll need glasses.
on 19 March 2011
Beware! The dimensions of this book are small. I thought this was going to be a nice book to read to my grand-daughter, and that maybe she could read it herself when a bit older. There are some nice pictures but I have no idea about the content of the stories because the print is so small I couldn't be bothered to read it, so it was sent back. Guess it was my own fault for not checking the dimensions.
on 17 July 2012
Regret we had to return this as being not fit for purpose. The type was so small as to be virtually unreadable. It would have helped to have the book's dimensions included in the description as this would have given the clue. There are two versions available, probably the earlier one is the full-sized format but this is only guessing. But have to say that my first experience of Amazon's returns system has been admirable.
on 28 April 2010
Any child who has the tenacity to tackle this miniscule print and negligible illustration collection which calls itself a Bible has my admiration.
Is it a large scale book put into a smaller format?
Scholarly yes:easy to read-not in any sense
Perhaps Ms Hastings should direct her version of the Bible at the clergy or students of Divinity?
Bought this for a Christening and squirmed to hand it over,it was so unsuitable
on 10 April 2007
This bible would probably be lovely for a much older child (minimum 8-10 yrs). Sadly however, I feel it is not suitable as a Christening gift, which was my intention on buying it. I wish the age group for this book had been clearly shown.