on 20 February 2012
This wonderful dictionary is so good that it really feels like cheating. If you think you know the defining word in a clue, look it up in this dictionary. It sorts the possible synonyms into word length and then alphabetically. It beats Roget hands down and is much quicker to use.

For example, if the answer is a girl's name, look up "girl" and it will give over a page of names from "Di" (2 letters) to "Wilhelmina" (10 letters). Did you know that there was a dance called a "boogaloo"? I didn't; but its in the book.

We use this book when stuck on the Guardian Cryptic crossword. This is the quick and easy way to finish off your crossword.
on 8 January 2012
The only copy I have seen of this book before purchasing was sealed so I had no idea of the contents. I was pleasantly surprised as the book is very useful and easy to navigate. It was also half the price which makes it excellent value!
on 17 May 2013
This Kindle Fire edition of The Chambers Crossword Dictionary,I found, is initially difficult to navigate and practice is required to be able to use the book with the same ease as the paper edition. This crossword dictionary, I feel, is the best on the market, it is easy to use, very comprehensive, clear and precise. A must for any crossword addict.
on 30 September 2013
Content is good, but the search routine where you look for a certain word throws up EVERY occurrence of the word. This leaves you searching sometimes as many as 70 pages, to find the thesaurus page, giving crossword options for your required word. Am I missing something?
on 11 January 2015
The digital version for Kindle is impossible to use. To be able to use this properly you need to be able to search by headword, which it seems you can't do. A search for a word returns every single occurence of the word, except the key entry that would give a list of synonyms, reference list etc.. This means that you end up scrolling though page after page to find what you want. This is a quite expensive digital book - definitely not worth the money.
on 22 November 2012
I enjoy crosswords and in latter years have been attempting cryptic crosswords and have found the book invaluable and extremely easy to use. I may not be able to solve all the clues yet but with the help of the Dictionary I can solve up to 55% of the clues. It also explains how cryptic crosswords are compiled and once you grasp what the compiler is thinking it becomes easier to solve the clues
on 8 October 2015
I have a hard copy of this book and find it invaluable. My edition is well-thumbed and it has helped me solve many crosswords. I decided to buy it for my Kindle as the hard copy is large and quite heavy to take on holiday.
The information is the same but finding it is very tricky and time consuming. I can't thumb through like the hard copy. The search for information is not easy.
To find a word one has to tap the Kindle at the top of the screen which brings up the Home icon. At the bottom of the screen a line appears and touching this line brings up a "slider". You can move your finger from side to side on this slider to progress through the alphabet. The slider is extremely touch sensitive and holding it on the page you require is very frustrating because when you move off the page you usually move the slider to another position and lose your place. For this reason I have given it 4 stars, I am tempted to give it only 3 stars because of the inadequate search facility.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 April 2015
I wish I had read the reviews first. I bought this quite confidently as I have Bradford on my Kindle and the Chambers Dictionary and Thesaurus on my iPad, all of which are quite brilliant. I expected this to be the same, I have the excellent paper version but as an avid crossword fan and traveller I thought this would complete my 'stable' of portable reference material. Along with others, I find the search facility to be RUBBISH. I consulted the reviews thinking I must be missing some other method of searching but apparently not. There seems to be no quick way to find the list headed by a particular word. The search throws up every occurrence of the letter string in the entries, but not the headings as far as I can tell. My advice - don't waste your money. until Chambers have sorted this out.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 May 2013
I have the printed version of this book and it is without doubt a 5 star aid to crossword solving. The digital version however does not allow easy alphabetical access to the dictionary. we havehad to devise a numerical page reference listing where second letters are to be found (e.g if we want a word starting with C followed by an H, without our page reference it is very time consuming to go through all C's). Even with our second letter references it takes time, looking up a word in a printed dictionary is simply a matter of alphabetical order. Why hasn't the digital version been provided with this?
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 January 2013
downloaded the digital version to windows 8 tablet- but there is no functionality to do a search, so I am faced with turning page by page. Simply useless