Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 21 April 2009
I feel the previous review of this book is unfair.
The 'quick read' series of books are aimed at attracting non-readers back into the joy of reading, or for those readers who like short stories and are existing fans of the author, or new ones who want a taste of their work.
I purchased this book as an avid fan of Kate Mosse knowing it was a 'short story' and on that basis I wasn't disappointed. However, it is a short read, and therefore lacks the depth of writing that we can expect from this author.
Kate Mosse is a beautiful,talented writer who draws you so much into her characters, you never want the books to end. You don't get that level of experience with this book as there is not the scope within a short story to develop this, which is why I feel it is unfair to compare this to her previous work.
I didn't feel it was disjointed - just a light read.
However.....a word of warning for all Kate Mosse fans! Do not buy this book if you intend to purchase The Winter Ghosts (currently available on pre-order). When I purchased 'The Cave' from Amazon.com there was no plot description. Having now read the synopsis for 'The Winter Ghosts', I was disappointed the storyline of 'The Cave' is the same (just a very short version!). I know 'The Winter Ghosts' will be in the same absorbing style and depth we have come to expect from this wonderfully talented writer.
I will definately purchase 'The Winter Ghosts' once I have put enough space between these two books.
There is nothing worse than looking forward to a really good read and already knowing the ending....!!
on 31 October 2013
I was so disappointed when I bought this book for my kindle, it is the same as Winter Ghosts, which I had already read, not fair to publish the same story with two different titles.
on 11 January 2013
I haven't been disappointed with Kate Mosse as an author and with my love of all reads about France this was ideal. Follows her theme which I have really enjoyed.
on 8 January 2013
Really enjoyed this book, read it in a couple of hours, brilliant twist at the end, love all Kate's books
on 24 September 2013
A totally pointless purchase as I already own 'The Winter Ghosts'. If I had realised it was the same story I would never have purchased this book. Very annoyed and disappointed.
on 21 January 2011
A pleasant short story, a great introduction to wonderfull writer, however Kate Mosse has since released the book "The Winter Ghosts", based upon this tale but with more of the atmosphere, intrigue and history that her fans expect.
on 6 October 2009
A previous reviewer hasn't grasped what a Quick Read is. They are specifically designed to be short (ie QUICK), to grab the attention of 'emerging readers' - people who don't usually read novels, those who find reading difficult etc. The Quick Reads authors are given very specific set of guidelines to follow, covering word complexity etc. This book is clearly branded as a Quick Read and to dismiss it for that reason is a little misguided.

For what it is, it's a reasonable short novel. I've not read any Kate Mosse before and this hasn't put me off.

And it's a shame a previous reviewer felt the need to 'bin it' once they'd finished it - presumably they mean 'take to a charity shop'?
on 14 July 2009
A timeslip story set in the SW of France: you get what you pay for with Mosse. OK, it's simply told to bring in new readers, but at times I wondered if it is aimed at children because the sentence structure is so simple - This happened.(Full stop.) That happened.(Full stop.) However, I enjoyed the book, as I knew I would; she tells a good story.

I felt it was let down, though, by 'the reveal' at the end, which didn't add up. You can't have someone e.g. having a meal, having their car repaired, and then say they didn't. It's a shame because the story was interesting enough to work without these anomolies. Like her other books, sloppy editing, and the ending needs work.
on 29 December 2012
Good quick Christmas day read. Always enjoy this authors books. She keeps you entralled throughout and you enjoy how she leads you through each book
on 4 June 2012
Enjoyable read' the Cave by Kate Mosse' ,such an interesting story,well worth buying. its a story that has your interest held right until the end,the only thing I found the story should have been left, with out the last 2 pages but thats only my thoughts. still enjoyable thou