Format: Hardcover|Change

on 19 October 2009
My great grandfather's younger brother, John Robert Noyes, served with the 15th Welsh. Sadly, he was killed during the battle for Mametz Wood. I have read quite a few books on the battle for Mametz Wood and on the history of the 38th (Welsh) Division. However, these only provided brief details on the exploits of the 15th Welsh. It's great that this battalion now has it's own official history. The book follows the battalion from it's formation until it was eventually disbanded in 1919. The appendicies are also great, and everyone who lost their lives serving with the battalion gets a mention. This is a book that tells their story. I think they would be proud of it.
on 21 July 2014
An excellent account of a Pals battalion at war. The 38th Division, with which the Carmarthen pals fought had an unspectacular war, but this book is all the better for that giving a good insight of the war as experienced by an ordinary battalion. The 38th Division was in involved in several of the major actions on the western front; suffering severe losses taking Mametze wood early in the battle of the Somme , fighting on the first day of the battle of 3rd Ypres and seeing action in the hundred days. What comes across from reading this book is how these big attacks were only short episodes in the long, attritional, morale sapping struggle of the western front; most casualties being suffered in dribs and drabs as the battalion rotates in and out of the front line.
Also recommended: The Swansea pals.
on 24 May 2014
If you are interested in your local history during WW1 this is the writer for you. Having read Steven's other books on the men behind the names on the war memorials in our area I knew that I was getting a book that was full of names and plac es that was known to me. The book is full of information that is well researched and not in any way is it 'padded out' to fill the pages. I have used his books in my own research as I know I am getting good clear information. and I would like to see Steven devoting all of his time to his writings and perhaps turning out a novel on WW1.
on 26 December 2013
I like historical books,in particular those written about the Great War. This book is very well written with enjoyable,personal accounts. A good read one I would recommend to other Great War readers.
on 11 October 2013
This is full of fascinating facts. My uncle was killed in the last days of the first world war, up until noww he has been just a name, now reading about the conditions and circumstances has fleshed him out.
on 21 September 2013
I Thought the book was a very good read from start to finish .It gave you an excellent insight into .life on front line during that period.
on 12 May 2014
A good read as well as an interesting historical document. Useful for those interested in history as well as miltaria.
on 27 March 2016
'The Carmarthen Pals' is a deeply moving tribute to so many of yesteryears heroes who fought in horrendous battles of the Great War. It must have taken an awful lot of work, to bring this book together such it is finer detail which makes it a truly outstanding read. Steven John writes directly from the heart and nothing can beat war books written within this beat.

Nick
on 8 October 2014
A book that has clearly been thoroughly researched with first hand accounts of the Carmarthen Pals involvement in the major battles WW1.
The author has managed to collect information of the fallen soldiers that makes it very personal and moving.

Congratulations to Steven John!
on 30 November 2014
I am from carmarthenshire so I was eager to read this book,and I wasn't disappointed.would recommend this book to anyone interested in WW1