on 28 February 2008
Not being the greatest mathematician on the planet, I need a little help to aid with understanding. With this book I get it. I have bought many books on the subject recently (some quite expensive) with this goal in mind and with the exception of this one book, they have all fallen short of the mark. You know the sort of thing I mean, making great leaps of logic, leaving you thinking `how on earth did they get from here to there'. With this book it's different. The style is friendly, explanations are comprehensive and there are good examples of technique. Unlike many other authors Adrian Banner does not leave the hardest problems to the reader to fathom out, he gets right in there and shows the way. The only things missing are sample questions, but don't let that put you off. If I could have given this book a better rating I would have. Well done Adrian.
on 15 October 2010
If you want someting to go along with your first year undergraduate text book that you don't understand on Calculus which covers everything on Sequences, Series, Continuity, Limits, Differentiation, Integration and Power Series (in the UK these topics get known as Analysis in A Pure Maths syllabus) it's all here.

There are even 24 video lectures to download on the website on a more or less chapter by chapter basis which are equally great and put the text in context so having both together is you everything you want to know. It is wriiten in an informal way and he is like the best lecturer you have met - his sytle is engaging and takes the time to explain everything in way that makes the formal text book you have make sense.

Cannot rate this highly enough, you don't have to read the lot you can do just what you are shaky on. Still use this when I want to refresh a topic I have forgotten. I cannot rate this highly enough.
on 24 December 2007
This book is superbly written and is an absolute bargain even without the 48 hours of online lectures which complement it. I would have expected to pay many times this price for a book of such quality and could not find a better book on the subject at any price.
on 13 June 2014
I found out about this book by watching Adrian Banner's online lectures.
The lectures are a wonder. Exceptionally easy to follow; assume little prior knowledge; do not miss out crucial steps that would be obvious to some (or many?) but are not obvious to me.
The book is just the same and I'm very impressed.
Like so many other physics and maths books, reading it on the Kindle Fire HDX is a miserable experience. Better than some but the problem is the same: Equations are tiny and do not zoom with the text.
Amazon is very negligent in not providing a decent reader for this tablet. The iPad one is fine.
Also fine on the PC. But not on the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. (A Kindle for %^&* sake)
Anyway - I always try to get this comment in and I would not want to mark the book down.
I also happen to know that authors are just as frustrated as I by the obduracy of Amazon in respect of its arcane (I'm told) publishing process.
on 21 September 2010
A very good book - for 5 stars I would have liked examples and activities. Explained in a very clear manner.
on 9 April 2013
Simply put, I love this book. I love mathematics and some concepts I found difficult to understand but this book absolutely cleared up any confusion. Ive had this book for a few years now and I read it constantly, cover to cover. Plus the online videos by the author are a gem. Thank you.
on 10 April 2013
I bought this book to shore up my creaking knowledge of calculus from courses done many years ago, and its spot on. Its helpoing me to remember what I learnt and explaining it even better than the first time around. Can't recommend it more highly.
on 12 January 2014
Funny at times. The companion videos are mediocre at best.
I have this book in my bag every day I am going to study math, and it helps to fill in the gaps. It tells you what things actually mean in a simple way..
on 21 February 2016
by far the best book on calculus that I have ever read. Clear, easy to understand, nothing is given for granted but everything is explained thoroughly. Friendly style, you really start loving mathematics!
on 29 April 2013
Great book with plenty of content and worked problems
Highly recommend to anyone taking any calculus modules
Straight forward to use and easy to understand