A practical, hands-on guidebook for business appraisers who deal in litigation support services
For business appraisers planning to expand litigation support services or add them to their practice, the right attitude, training, and tools are essential. Whether your goals are to increase your client base or simply to become a better expert witness, The Business Appraiser and Litigation Support will provide you with an in-depth and thoughtful overview of the mindsets, ethics, and practices necessary to excel at your profession.
Highlights of The Business Appraiser and Litigation Support
* Provides valuable information on how to market yourself as a litigation support expert
* Covers the entire legal process from the initial demand letter through post-trial proceedings
* Offers valuable insights on such ethical issues as maintaining your objectivity, keeping your reputation unblemished, and never losing sight of what's at stake
* Includes Rules of Evidence, Civil Procedure, and sample deposition and trial testimony, important areas not normally treated in litigation topics
* Features sample legal forms to familiarize business appraisers with the format and terminology of the litigation support professional
* Eliminates the fear factor appraisers often experience with regard to courtroom testimony
From the Inside Flap
For business appraisers today, the fastest growing and most lucrative wellspring of new business is in the field of litigation support. Business appraisers who are able to add litigation support services to their entrepreneurial capabilities can significantly expand their client base and subsequently increase their profits. From the perspective of the appraiser, litigation support is a growth opportunity; a way to expand the practice and increase revenues. However, from the perspective of the client, it is much more. It may mean the difference between vindication or financial ruin. When it comes to the litigation process, an appraiser is much like a doctor. He or she must provide the best, most objective, and professional service to each and every client, without being swayed by public opinion, per–sonal bias, or financial considerations. In The Business Appraiser and Litigation Support, professional litigator and business appraiser Michele Miles provides a practical, step–by–step look at the courtroom techniques and deportment every aspiring expert witness must master. While most books on this topic focus on the appraisal side of the litigation process, this book is designed to provide appraisers with a better understanding of litigation as a whole and how best to apply their skills to the litigation process. The author views the role of business appraisers as litigation support professionals, expert witnesses, and damage consultants. She details the legal process from the initial demand letter through post–trial proceedings, easily translating the legal process so that the business appraiser can more accurately ascertain a clients specific needs. By looking at the inside anatomy of a lawsuit and understanding the process, business appraisers will become more comfortable with the courtroom testimony procedures and more cognizant of new business opportunities. A well–balanced mix of both technical information and ethical considerations, The Business Appraiser and Litigation Support is a must for accountants and consultants seeking to expand their businessappraisal practices to include litigation support services, as well as other professionals who may be called upon to serve as expert witnesses.