on 3 April 2007
This is an excellent book in all aspects. It is well written, interesting and informative. It is also disturbing. To be fourteen and feel the way that Brent does must be so traumatic. It would have been interesting to read a bit from his parents but then that isn't what this book is about.

Nothing is left to the imagination; the reader knows exactly what the pain of taking a bath would feel like or the pain of being turned in bed. For me the most distressing part was actually the moment he set himself alight.

I can't recommend this book highly enough. The blurb is right and how often does that happen? The ending leaves you content but curious. I was that involved I regretted having to go to sleep but made sure I didn't put it down the next day.

Although the 'chapters' are extremely lengthy there are plenty of places to stop reading - however it's that good why would you want to!
on 7 June 2012
This is the kind of book that I both loved and hated. Loved, because it is so well written and a compelling, fascinating story, especially because it's real. Hated, because some of the bits are things I didn't want to know, but because it's so gripping, I just couldn't put it down. If you're going to read it, prepare yourself for brutal honesty and a lot of learning. Thoroughly recommend.
on 6 May 2014
A very difficult book to describe... an unsuccessful suicide attempt which everyone wants to know the answer to - just Why? But he doesn't seem to know himself. Medical recovery is a long, painful and difficult task and many people in the burns unit don't survive. The writing is excellent and even though I read it some time ago it really made an impact.
on 29 June 2009
This book will certainly leave you thinking about how teenagers minds think about things. I found it an amazing read and have so much respect for Brent to be able to write about the things he has written about. Brent gives an incredible insight into the rehabilitation that is required into recovering from being burnt.
on 17 January 2015
This book is absolutely amazing. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who is into this genre. Its such a gripping story - I read it in one day, I was hooked to the book. The condition of the book was great, and the story was so well written. 5/5
on 4 February 2016
Great book, very addictive. The story is a bit sad, but highly recommend it.
on 18 May 2011
I was a little disappointed with the quality of this book. The paper cover was a bit dented and there were marks all over. Maybe a result of the travel in the post, I dont know. But it was only cheap so I cant expect to much! Hope its a good read!