Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 November 2006
I bought this book as I collect anything but mostly reading literature, to do with the Bronte family and their works.

Despite knowing a lot about them, Ann Dinsdales 'The Brontes at Haworth' has managed to do something I thought impossible.

She has written a book for people who are experts or complete novices on the family, and it satisfies both.

By covering each individual family member and their writings, she also includes chapters on their background which covers life in the village of Haworth and the Brontes social circle. There are also chapters on Bronte biographers and the well known legacy that has survived since their deaths in the 19th century.

Simon Warners photographs are beautiful and compliment the text really well. The raw atmosphere of Haworth and the moors is captured on nearly every page. Several photos are brand new and never before seen in any Bronte related book.

Overall its an informative and aesthetically pleasing, well put together coffee-table book. I highly recommend it, especially with Christmas round the corner as it would make a beautiful present. Its well worth the money.
on 1 April 2009
This is the book for you if you know a little about the family and want to know more, rather than a book for anyone looking for deep insight or analysis. That said, it is an excellent book. Easy to read, good chapters on the individual family members and their works. Also includes info about the area and the influence of the Brontes. A great addition for any Bronte fan.
on 30 April 2011
After visiting the Bronte Museum my granddaughter wanted more information about the family. I would recommend this book - the illustration is wonderful and the info about each member of the family is very detailed. Excellent read
on 5 July 2013
Excellent book, interesting & very good quality. Visited Haworth recently & I was delighted to see the image of the parsonage on the front cover was exactly as shown.
on 30 May 2013
went to see the parsonage in person off the back of this book very very good they were selling the same book in the gift shop dearer
on 2 July 2013
First class literary content, excellent photography, and an excellent typographical layout make this book a joy to read and handle
on 1 March 2011
Beautifully presented book. Very good account of the Brontes and their environment. Gives insight into the context of their lives.
on 13 November 2014
This book is very exciting for me as it pictures the very place I visited a long time ago and still feel the presence of the tomb stones and the crows cawing in the tall trees. Also has a different aspect on the Brontes and other views that other books don't seem to have. I was thrilled to see the Bronte Falls photo as it reminded me of the time I sat on a rock in the river near the falls with my feet dangling down on the river's floor and sheep coming down for their daily drink. My husband waving his shirt from the bridge in his vest, something he never does, but being such a beautiful hot day and a trek across the moors made us succumb ( to the heat) in that magical place.
It was posted with care, a much loved book I guessed. Thank you.
on 12 December 2013
I'm never going to travel to the moors of the Brontes that I have read about or see their home, but I can with this book.
on 12 August 2014
We were visiting Haworth and so bought this book to read prior to our visit. It proved to be just what we needed. The book gives a real flavour of this talented but tragic family without over facing the reader for too much detail. The information is well laid out and beautifully illustrated. Good value in the soft cover version.