on 4 September 2003
This book covers any questions anyone might have about breastfeeding, and mothering through breastfeeding. All the new mothers who I have leant it to have gone on to breastfeed their baby successfully. Another Sears hit! If you buy only one book for those first months buy this one!
on 23 January 2012
I breastfed my daugther for more than 2 years, and never dreamt of offering her a drop of formula. This was mainly because I was determined for her to receive the benefits of breastmilk uncompromised, but partly because I was traumatised by this book. For those who aren't familiar with different parenting methods out there be warned: the Sears' are EXTREME proponents for attachment parenting techniques, and this book is 30% practical breastfeeding advice and 70% attachement parenting propaganda. Why should chapters on co-sleeping and baby-wearing belong in a BF book? I happen to endorse this method, but was still annoyed by how much this book rubbed that doctrine in my face.

I certainly found this book a useful resource to have on hand throughout my BF journey, but would have preferred less brainwashing and more information; when I had problems with PPD, latch-on, nipple thrush and pumping at work the information offered in this book was insufficient. However, when an expert child nutrionist informed me after my daughter's first birthday that I should wean her off of night feeds the influence of this book was enough to make me stupidly defy her for months.
on 7 May 2006
...this book provided me with all the information that all of the midwives, doctors, health visitors and well meaning relatives did not!!. When I had any breassfeeding issue, the answer was in this book and I breastfed my baby successfully until she was 6 months old. Highly recommended!
on 17 November 2010
I read this book when I was experiencing a few difficulties breastfeeding when my son was only seven weeks old. The advice was so sensible and sensitive. My baby is now six months old and I am planning to still be breastfeeding when he is one. I have found it an invaluable source of advice throughout the past months as it answers questions on positioning, diet, demand-feeding, allergies, winding etc. This is a "must-have" book for any new mother who is planning to breastfeed.
on 24 October 2011
Just a fantastic book!! Together with La Leche League's book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding this is a very informative book which helps women to choose what is best for themselves and their babies.
on 25 May 2013
This book contains very detailed information in an easy to read and access format, written by well recognised commentators on babies and childcare.
on 7 November 2001
This book supports breastfeeding mother from the first day of the babys life.Marta and William Sears are the greatest writers about childrens discipline, bed time, breastfeeding and more and more...They are my favourite writers
Best wishes